Troubleshooting engine problems

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Ranchero50

Troubleshooting engine problems

Post by Ranchero50 »

Slightly OT, working on my '93 stang, 10-1CR 306 with AFR 185's, Ported GT40 intake, 6psi Paxton, etc. Been smelling antifreeze when I shut it off and it's had a really annoying belt squeek for a while. Finally got the garage cleaned out and put it in yesterday for the annual motor pull and reseal (actually it's been two years this time). Emissions are due to so I need to put the cat pipe back on and it has a header leak from the X pipe drawing the headers together.

Figured I'd post up some pics showing what I found during the teardown last night.

Put a new belt on a couple months ago and had 1/2" of clearance. Now the dang things rubbing itself at the water pump pulley. The white stuff is some lithium grease I put on the troubleshoot which belt was making the noise.

In this shot, notice the white coolant trail coming out of the thermostat housing gasket. The chrome FMS housing is junk and has always leaked. I think the base casting is very porous because I had to sand the chrome off the mating surfaces to try and get a good seal (coolant was leaking out from under the chrome).

Not much here except the pretty SAAC valve covers that are made of unobtainium. Note the crack in the coolant line at the top of the pic...

Finally the 6psi Paxton. The thing works great, but has always leaked, the whole side of the motor is wet. Figured it was out the front, but when I pulled it off I found the O-ring for the case leaking so I'll pull it back apart and reseal it too.

I was going to pull the motor and still may. Did a compression check with the upper off and got 145-160 psi out of all the cylinder. The plugs are black and the gap has grown, but that's expected. Usually this thing pushes the head gaskets out the side of the block. I need to pull the intake gasket and reseal it and should pull the tranny to do the rear seal whick may be leaking too. I'm off to find an electric fan for it today to free up some more HP. Going to try and find a Mk VIII fan setup.

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Ranchero50

Re: Troubleshooting engine problems

Post by Ranchero50 »

Played with it a little more last night and found the steel core valve cover gaskets from the '93 mustang don't line up very well with the AFR / Saac valve covers. Only has around 1/8" of coverage at the top of the valve covers. I think I'm going to go ahead and pull it out just to clean it up. Still looking for a fan.

Jamie

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Been chugging away at this some more...

Found this gem, FMS chrome water neck corroded from the inside out and cracked right next to the heater bypass hose so I couldn't see the leak...

The fix was to reinstall an original. Need to put the intake in the mill to drill and tap out the 3/8" NPT port for the water temp gauge...

Pic of the heads back on. Didn't find anything wrong with the head gaskets or intake gaskets other than some seapage around the water ports... Note the studs instead of bolts for the heads, exhaust and intake.

One other nuisance was the custom windage tray I made didn't have a hole for the dipstick to go into so it's been running two years without one...

Further along it gotten the SVO 1.6 roller rockers back on the AFR's...

Finally mocked the supercharger back up and the accessories to get the pulley alignemnt correct...

I need to make something to replace the smog pump. The bearings are gone and it's just a big heavy chuck of in the way...

Hope to have it buttoned back up this week. It's kind of a bummer that I took it all the way apart and didn't really find anything wrong with it. I wanted to put another cam in, but couldn't find one this weekend.

Jamie

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Nice engine. Couldn't you just T in where the other coolant sensor is?
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I could have, but it's actually easier to just finish drill and tap out the blind casting hole in the thermostat housing. It also gives a more accurate reading.

Jamie

70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

wow man, thats a good lookin motor! bet that lil car scoots! dont those nice pretty roller rockers make you want see through valve covers? i have gold anodized crane 1.73s and it made me want some
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

It does ok. if it's cold out it'll build 10psi of boost and break the tires loose in fourth at 4k around 65mph. :evil:

Didn't get to work on it last night, had the fuel pump power lead come off the pump on the ranch and needed a tow home.

PITA

Jamie