LPG conversion

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Happy_Camper
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: LPG conversion

Post by Happy_Camper »

Yes, LP does give less energy than gasoline pound for pound of fuel. Stoich of gasoline is 14.7:1, and for LPG it's 15.6:1, plus as you said the BTUs are less. It's also a cold fuel, and removes heat energy. Running 11.5:1 compression will help regain some of the lost power and heat, but will not outperform a gasoline engine.
That said, it's very clean, so oil contamination is low providing better lubricity over the life span of the oil. Spark plugs run cleaner, providing better spark, Seal life is increased, so for the maintenance challenged individual, it's really great!
To get the best performance, the engine needs to be mechanically optimized for LPG.
I've pulled 13,000# equipment trailers with a 390 built for LPG in a '73 Ford F350, and the same trailer with a 390 built for gasoline in a '75 Ford F350. The gasoline truck had more usable power, and better fuel mileage, but was raucous compared to the smooth and quiet LPG truck.
Scott
1972 F250 Explorer C/S, 390-2V, Dual exhaust, C6, Goose neck ball in bed
New and improved with Tilt Wheel, Intermittent Wipers, 2005 Bench seat and 5th wheel camper!...
Life is *very* good!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I have a whole system and Jay Storerer's out of print book that anyone interested should have.
What I can tell you I found out
Less power
Less mileage
Both by about 15% apparently
My :2cents: is don't do dual fuel. If you are going propane then build the engine to optimize that system.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by rubiranch »

I built and tuned my engine for LP; I would never have a straight system because LP is not always readily available. That makes if difficult to leave the city.
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
1969_Fords_Forever

Post by 1969_Fords_Forever »

I've got a 1969 f100 with a 240 that runs on propane. However I run propane only no gasoline. I was able to use my stock 1 barrel carb. I just put a model E impco mixer on it with and adapter for a 1 barrel. The nice thaing about propane is it is great for long periods of idling or for drives around town. Basically it doesnt burn much fuel just sitting idle. You won't win any drag races with the propane 240, but once you get up to the highway speed limit it will cruise nicely and run very smooth. I don't think I will ever change mine back to gasoline.
warponyxlt

Post by warponyxlt »

I heard it is hard on the valves but that is just what i heard :2cents:
if its fixed break it again red white and ford blue the only up hill thats good is the one you are going down
Fordnatic
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordnatic »

It can pound the seats into the head-but if you have seats which work with unleaded it's ok for propane, too.
70F100: 410 Merc with tri-power, close ratio toploader, 4.56 detroit locker 9"
68F100 4x4: 390, 4 spd/NP 205, Rancho 4" urethane susp, 35x12.50 All Terrain T/A's
55F100
01F150 Daily Driver: TP tunes, AF1 intake, elec fans, Magnaflow exh, underdrive pulleys, Centerlines