360 crate motor.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

CactusKid

360 crate motor.

Post by CactusKid »

Hi, I'm new here and I hope I'm not double posting. I looked for a similar post but my wife is yelling at me to get to bed so here I am. I have a 72 f-100. The engine knocks over 55-60 mph. A mechanic said I need to find a decent crate motor so here's my question. Any good ideas for sources? e-bay concerns me because of warrenty issues. I want something that doesn't have problems so original motors just plane scare me. I want to know who makes either a new version or rebuilt with warrenty motor and are there versions which have improvements since the original motor was produced? I'm a landscaper not a mechanic so I ask you to take pity on me. Thanks.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 360 crate motor.

Post by binder56jd »

the . uh. fe clan. which is reeeaaalllll big here, will blow all kindsa smoke north up ya :wink:

a 360 can be bilt

do your research and there is some good machinery cats here

otherwise---sell it to an fe guy and get ya a good smallblock and blow their doors off :wink:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
CactusKid

Post by CactusKid »

Ok I know you can't give a for sure answer without seeing it but is rebuilding out of the question or does the knocking (generally) mean overheating at one time and it's time for a new motor? Bear with me I am much better at tree trimming than engine repair.
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

just because i was feeling like taking a lazy route 5 years ago..i went to kragen and bought a long block for my 67 mustang...a 6 cyc 180 ( i think ).....4 years later, a ton of miles and whole lot of fun, she was still running like a charm..so last year i got a 6 cyc 240 longblock for my 67 f100...runs perfect....both came with a 2 year 20,000 mile warranty..and were relatively inexpensive..works for me for putzing around town...would i buy a longblock from them with the intent to actually work it hard...no....... :thup:
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

You can have your 360 rebuilt if the knock hasn't caused any bad damage. Sounds like it knocks at higher rpms right? Have a good machine shop rebuild it for you and it'll run another 37 years.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by convincor »

fill out your profile so we know where you are.
Guessing buy you user name, I'm thinking AZ maybe???
This guy doesn't have one listed right know but has a nice 390 for $3695.. 400hp, complete pan to intake. And he's got great feedback..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-428 ... 0288112627
68 Custom Cab Shorty, 390, C6, 9"-3.50:1 Currie T/L
"Still Plays With Trucks"
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/convincor/F100/
CactusKid

Post by CactusKid »

Im in the southern San Joaquin valley near Visalia, Ca.
70shortwide

Post by 70shortwide »

wow i used to live in visalia
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

a crate enigne is just going to give you a plain stock enigne without any mods fo rany kind of power. if you want any kind of power rebuild the one you have . or buy a used engine and rebuild it. a 390 is a better engine to build other than a 360. or what i mean is you can build a 360 into a 390 very easily.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Tell wife to stop yelling or you may buy new crate wife too.
Having worked around this stuff for many decades I do not recommend the parts store rebuilds. You may get a decent one but most of them are a 30,000 mile engine at best. Find a reputable local machine shop and have them do it. Expect to spend way more money than the "crate" engine because they have professionals doing the work, not illegal aliens.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

willowbilly3 wrote:Tell wife to stop yelling or you may buy new crate wife too.
Having worked around this stuff for many decades I do not recommend the parts store rebuilds. You may get a decent one but most of them are a 30,000 mile engine at best. Find a reputable local machine shop and have them do it. Expect to spend way more money than the "crate" engine because they have professionals doing the work, not illegal aliens.
:yt:
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

If you are just looking for a stock type engine, then Jasper engines (and probably ATK as well) offer both 360 and 390's. Jasper builds a nice engine nowdays and they do warranty them. It will cost a good bit more than a parts store rebuild, but it is a good bit better as well.

I also think motorcraft still offers them.

If you want something other than stock, then by all means follow willowbilly3's advice.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper