hard to start when warm

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

71HANKER

hard to start when warm

Post by 71HANKER »

Hey guys i'm having a real annoying problem with the 460 that's in my truck. When i start the truck in the morning, and the motor is cold it starts no problem, but if i drive it for 20 minutes or longer and shut it off it takes more and more cranking time to start up. The starter does look pretty old and it makes alot of noise when the truck starts. I have 2 brand new 1000 cca batteries, a new starter relay, a new edelbrock 600cfm carb, k&n extreme air filter kit, mr. gasket fuel pressure regulator, and an accel points eliminator kit in the distributor. So i know those areas aren't the culprit. I read in another posting that the windings in the starter could make it act up when it gets warm so what do you think? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: hard to start when warm

Post by willowbilly3 »

It's a ford thing, all my carbed Fords always start better cold. On my 390 I finally had to ditch the autolite because of fuel perc on hot soak. It often took 30 seconds of crankiing to start when it was hot. With the holley that is maybe 2-3 seconds hot.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if the engine is turning over then its not the starter. unless its dragging when it tries to start. its a heat soak issue.
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Th e'71 F250 I bought a couple of years ago, would start fine when cold, but wouldn't start if I drove it a mile and turned it off, it would crank over, but wouldn't hit a lick.
I had the starter bench tested at a parts house and was told it was good. It ended up being the starter...
I replaced it and didn't have a problem with it again...

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
green68250

Post by green68250 »

I would tend to think it is heat soak, that is where all of the fuel boils out of the carb and lines and had to get pumped back up to the engine when you go to start it. I would think that if the motor is turning over that it is not the starter but I have been wrong before. You could try a spacer under the carb and make sure the engine is cooling effiecently and not getting to hot. Then go get youself a $30 starter and throw it in and see what happens.

Corbin
Honestly, I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

1969 F-100 4x4 Dana 44 w/ disk brakes and power steering conversion 390 c6 np205.
1970 F-250 97k original miles bone stock 390 np435 most original unmolested truck I have ever owned.
2001 F-250, Extra Cab, 4x4, 7.3 Direct Injected Turbo Diesel, Edge Programmer, Flowmaster 4" Turbo back Exhaust, 3" Leveling Kit with 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, and has 250,000 miles and counting.
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Checking the carb should be really easy...
If it is heat soak, that can be checked by pulling the air cleaner off, opening the choke and pumping the gas.
If the gas has boiled out then there would be nothing in the bowl to pump.
I have owned many FE powered ford vehicles, some equipped with autolite carbs some with out.
I have lived in areas with 114 temps in the shade, and have have never experienced carb heat soak before...
I have had two cars diagnosed by good mechanics as being heat soak..
One ended up being a dead cell in the battery, the other ended up being the starter (that was the '71 F-250 I spoke of earlier).
Now, I check those things first...

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

willowbilly3 wrote:It's a ford thing....
I've never had that problem with any of my fords
I had a datsun truck that did that and was told it was the starter and still did it after it was replaced. It ended up being the battery.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
Calvin Gunter
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Calvin Gunter »

Also,make sure the timing is not too high.
1967 Ranger,Short bed,390,C-6,9 inch,4 BBL.,intake,cam,headers,3:55 Posi.,A/C,Power steering,Power Disc Brakes,Automatic trans.DJM dropped I-beams,flipped rear hangers,headlight harness upgrade.ExTang tonneau cover "Old Blue".
http://s508.photobucket.com/albums/s328/BigSxy96/
1967 Base model,352,2bbl.,3 on the tree,short bed,3:25 9 inch "Rusty".
1967 Mustang coupe-show car/garage queen.Small Block,alum. heads,Nitrous,4:11Locker,Areospace brakes "Mystang".
1996 F-250 Powerstroke-Big intake,exhaust,injectors.(Nice Smoke Show) "Big Sexy"
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

sideoilerfe wrote:
willowbilly3 wrote:It's a ford thing....
I've never had that problem with any of my fords
I had a datsun truck that did that and was told it was the starter and still did it after it was replaced. It ended up being the battery.
That was a flock shoot comment, not really serious.
I have owned more stock FE pickup trucks than I can count. I think ALL of them started best when cold. Only a few did the heat soak or vapour lock thing. The one I drive now was the worst. I tried different spacers, made sure there wasn't a stuck shut efe butterfly. This engine also seems to peg the temp guage during heat soak worse than any others I have had. The Holley fixed the issue.
warponyxlt

Post by warponyxlt »

it is the down fall of a fords credibility for a starter that is a p.o.s. it is true my truck starts easy cold but let it run for 20 mins shut it off and try it again it will turn 2/3 times and no start no carb or charging issues either it is not an oem starter though it one of them half a** hecho en mexico part store rebuild starters they are JUNK dont they make a good one some where for under $150 they dont sell originals here in north dakota go figure its the middle of nowhere really :evil:
if its fixed break it again red white and ford blue the only up hill thats good is the one you are going down
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Ford starters seem less tolerant of abuse than some others. Repeated attempts to start an old Ford with a weak battery will almost surely damage the starter.
If you look on ebay you can find permanent magnet (new) starters for FE applications. I have used the OEM permaent magnet starters on 300-6 and wouldn't use anything else.
71HANKER

Post by 71HANKER »

well i do have a carb spacer on the engine, but i will see if the carb still has fuel to squirt when its hot, and shut off.
Ive been meaning to check the timing because i havent checked it since i put in the points eliminator kit. But im kinda leaning towards a starter. Ill let you guys know as soon as i can get some dang sunshine out here. thanks