Oil Pump replacement??

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Vitamin-C

Oil Pump replacement??

Post by Vitamin-C »

Just joined the site and this is my first post. I had a fairly simple question. I have a 70' F100 LWB with a 360. I was wandering if anybody could tell me if it is possible to get to the oil pump without jacking up the motor? And, if not, how hard is it to change out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Oil Pump replacement??

Post by BobbyFord »

Welcome to the site.
It's impossible to do without jacking up the engine. Some guys do it in the truck, jacking up the motor and using wood blocks between the mounts and the frame. Also, remember, if you have a fan shroud, unbolt it and hang it on the fan.
I've done it many times both ways but I prefer to pull the engine out. If the pump is worn out, most likely other things are too. The last time I pulled my 360 out, I replaced the oil pump, rear main seal (replaced the old rope seal with two piece rubber), oil pan gasket, timing chain, gears and seal, intake gasket, dist. gasket and valve cover gaskets. Now, not only do I have an engine with good oil pressure, I have one that doesn't leak oil anywhere.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

:yt: You'll have to jack the engine up as far as it'll go, and then drop the oil pan. You can then reach up into the pan and remove the oil pump bolts and drop the pump down into the pan and remove. It's not hard...just a little bit of a PIA. :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Vitamin-C

Post by Vitamin-C »

I appreciate the help guys. I kind of figured all of that. Just wishfull thinking I guess. I'll be replacing it next saturday.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

It is a nasty job at best and more often than not the results didn't merit the effort, as in a new oil pump didn't fix a tired old sloppy engine
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if you have the front cover off you can do it without jacking up the enigne i think. just take the two botls out and drop everything into the pan and remove the pan with all of it in the pan. unless you pump tube is bolted to the crankshaft bearing cap. then you can't do it. without jacking up the enigne.