budget fix..

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: budget fix..

Post by aramil »

thanks peanutman, im going into town today to look for them, autozone, advance auto, napa and oriellies are on the same street up there so ill cheeck prices at all of em.

i think its the points on the dizzy cause it gets power but it doesnt send it to the spark plugs.
72, f-100 ranger xlt, 360-c6, 2wd 84k miles.
77, ford f-150 custom 4x4, 400m-c6 SOLD

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

i didnt get to see your post before i left alfred, i got a starter and new points at autozone and a timing chain at advance auto. advanced had a young guy behind the register but he was very good new right where the part was and retrieved in a matter of minutes. and auto zone had an old guy that was good but not all too friendly but still not bad, ive never had a problem with auto zone employees. i also got new spark plugs and wires and walked out with a $100 dollars left but i also bought some anti seize stuff for the spark plugs and a 82 piece greatnecks socket set. now the fun begins :evil:

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

off topic here but my autozone has a girl in there who really doesn't know much yet. or anything about cars but its nice to see her walk away from you to go look for the parts.
Last edited by fordman on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

been buying from auto zone forever..they're highly underrated ...within 2 blocks i have autozone, kragen ( checkers ), pep boys, king auto and fergesons....auto zone is the go to one :fr: :woohoo:
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

rockauto.com
I have always kept my business local but recently the best price I could get locally was $132 and I got it with shipping to my front door for $82
The best parts people are girls here.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

peanut man, your posted helped the most since it was the only one i seen before i went and i walked out with all the parts plus a new socket set with a hundred dollars left :thup:

warponyxlt

Post by warponyxlt »

they should hire only mechanic in them flashy part stores them dweebs an thier computers really get me mad i called to order a part for a car i was workin on an they said there was no such thing made for that car that year on thier (computer) they are the only parts place nearby with in 20 miles. any how icalled back looking for a thermostat for a 67 vw bug an sent them on a wild goose chase for bieng so stupid there was a long wait on the phone but i just hung up. maybe that fool is still lookin idunno :evil:
if its fixed break it again red white and ford blue the only up hill thats good is the one you are going down
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

Alfred Lord Tenniscourt wrote:Solenoids don't go out as often as people think they do. ... one little one connects to the ignition switch, and the other little one connects to absolutely nothing."
Uhhh, not on any vintage ford I am aware of.

The "I" terminal feeds +12v to the coil during starting to eliminate the ballast resistor.
For reference, look here: http://www.fordification.com/images/sch ... gauges.jpg

JMHO,

Eric
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

Most solenoids that get replaced aren't bad, the battery is just low or you have a bad ground.
The plate in the distributor that the points mount on can cause all kinds of problems. They wear out and every time the vacuum advance trys to advance the points it pulls them out of adjustment, which makes the truck run like crap. You can buy the breaker plate for about $10.00. I know NAPA still has them available. I knew old Ford mechanics that changed the breaker plate every other set of points. It's a weak part. If your truck stumbles or misses when you step on it, disconnect the vacuum advance, plug the hose and drive it. If it runs better you need a new breaker plate.
69 F-100 Ranger 302
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

i also liked the fact that they showed you the selection peanutman. and i like hearing that about the duralast parts because i bought a set of sparkplug wires and points while i was there :D

peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

Good luck on all your work. They also have a frequent buyer card, get one and use it, will save you $10 every $100 you spend. keep your receipts and they will make anything good if it goes bad on you. You can go online and get your card, use your receipts from the other day to get you points so far and then use your scan card each time you go in.
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

i did get the card, i have to register it online still.