Whats wrong with my truck

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

JMcTurnan

Whats wrong with my truck

Post by JMcTurnan »

So I drive, and it feels like the tranny is f'ed up. But my dad says its the carb, when you press the gas it's like it doesnt move. But when you tap and jiggle it, it seems to catch and start driving. SO when your driving and you get off a fresh stop you have to jiggle it to start going. Is it the carb? I just bought a remanufactured one for 150 bucks, think ti will work? Just installed manual choke, it was much better than what we had on there. But will prolly use the choke that comes with new carb.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Whats wrong with my truck

Post by fordman »

sounds like the accelartor pump in the carb almost. or some bad linkage.
JMcTurnan

Post by JMcTurnan »

Well, I dont know much about carbs, but when My other one comes in Ill take it apart. Know any tutorials?
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

if it's a 2 barrel..ain't much to it. If you could get the instruction sheet from a rebuild kit, they usually have an exploded view of the carb. The listing to the side of the drawing should be the individual parts, numbered in order of disammembly.

:2cents:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
JMcTurnan

Post by JMcTurnan »

Yea its a 2barrel
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Is it an automatic, or have power brakes? Both require vacuum and if you have a leak in one of those lines it'll pull more air and lean out the mixture=step on the gas and it dies...slowly increase or quick jab it (accel.pump shoots raw fuel down the intake) and it will catch and go - but stumble.

Carb to manifold gasket, and intake manifold gasket can also do this.

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
JMcTurnan

Post by JMcTurnan »

Oh No, Well I replaces intake gaskets once. My dad says it is probably the carburetor, hopefully it is. Because I spent 150 bucks on it, If not Ill try those.
JMcTurnan

Post by JMcTurnan »

My problem sounds just like you were talking, if I slowly accelerate it stops and all you hear is air out of the carb, because I dont have air filter on jic. If I jab it, it shuts off. But if I like jiggle it with my foot, it starts to go.
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

If it's not an automatic, or power brake equipped, that would leave the carb and intake to look at for a vacuum problem.

You could have someone work the throttle while you listen at the carb - when it starts to stumble under increased throttle, spray some wd-40 around the base of the carb. If it smoothes out, there's your starting point.

If it doesnt make a difference, do the same thing around the intake manifold perimeter.

If it is automatic and pwr brakes, check the modulator hose where it goes under the tranny, and also where it plugs into the back of the intake manifold. My hose came loose (and broke when I tried to re-attach) and it took me a week to figure out.

Also check the power brake booster vac hose where it's attached either to the carb or the manifold. It only takes a small hole to let too much air in and thin out the fuel mixture.

Good luck!

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

suggestion....return your 150.00 carb....buy the rebuild kit for 14 bucks....try it and see if it works and learn how they work :thup: in the process....:)..for the most part there really isn't a whole lot to them....the kit has 2 ( i think..it's been awhile ) diaframs...when those get old, weak or cracked...they can cause all sort of hick-up sysmptoms....
farmtruckman

Post by farmtruckman »

Suggestion on troubleshooting vacuum leaks, if that is what you suspect. I use the spray carb cleaner SPARINGLY around where vacuum leaks are suspected while engine is idling. If you spray on a leak area, the revs will come up slightly as the leak is sealed by the cleaner. All the safety buffs out there will remind you to be extremely careful spraying something flammable on a hot engine so don't spray the usual bad areas (exhaust, fan... duh.) Works good on vacuum lines, gasket areas though.

FTM
1967 F100 LWB
1972 F100 SWB 4x4
Assorted Harleys
thebannister8
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by thebannister8 »

mist water....far less dangerous and will do no harm :fr: