wants to stall

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: wants to stall

Post by fordman »

i bet the dist is 180 out. which means the po put the dist in backwards and he just changed the wires around to make it run. so that means you might have to put the wires back the way they were. the carb thing coul dbe just a tightening of the screws. it is best to just take it off and replace that diaphram. i have always had to remove my carb to tighten the screws. i would guess you may also have to. ti should nt take more than hour to replace it if thats what you want to do.
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

so if that is true, hypothetically the #1 should be the # 6 on the distibutor. if so would the wire go in reverse to?
1971 Sport Custom SWB: 360/C6 3.00
1965 Ford Falcon 4Dr: Inline 170 3sp
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

now i am lost on this. i would have to be actually working on it to find out. it seems to me everything might just be opposite of where it is now. if it is 180 out. to find outif its 180 put the pointer on the zero timing mark on the damper. then look at where the rotor is pointing in the dist. also the #1 piston should be at the top of the stroke. if it is pointing opposite the #1 plug wire position it could be 180 out. thats if the pointer is on zero and the piston is at top. if its not that way then you can turn the enging over and check it again. then see where the rotor is pointing.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

IIRC you can hit zero twice, once on the compression stroke and again on the exhuast stoke. the eseast way to find compression stroke is to rotate the enhgine by hand with the #1 spark plug removed and thumb or finger over/in the hole, when it blows your finger out or atleast blows air past it, your on the compression stroke.

then see where the rotor is pointing.

towards the driver side corner of the firewall its on 1 if any where else its wrong and 180 out would be #3.

# 3 points katty corner with the front passenger corner.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

fordman wrote:now i am lost on this. i would have to be actually working on it to find out. it seems to me everything might just be opposite of where it is now. if it is 180 out. to find outif its 180 put the pointer on the zero timing mark on the damper. then look at where the rotor is pointing in the dist. also the #1 piston should be at the top of the stroke. if it is pointing opposite the #1 plug wire position it could be 180 out. thats if the pointer is on zero and the piston is at top. if its not that way then you can turn the enging over and check it again. then see where the rotor is pointing.
one thing i noticed between this eng and the last truck i had is that the dist. faced different directions. this one faces to the passenger side front and the old faced to the driver side front. i will start again in the morning toi remedy this. thanks fordman. :thup:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the way the outer part faces doesn't matter. its the inside part where the rotor sits that matters. i think robert explained that last part better than i did . i was getting lost for words.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the way the outer part faces doesn't matter. its the inside part where the rotor sits that matters. i think robert explained that last part better than i did . i was getting lost for words.
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

fordman wrote:the way the outer part faces doesn't matter. its the inside part where the rotor sits that matters. i think robert explained that last part better than i did . i was getting lost for words.
i want to thank you to robert. by the way, the first is the way he was describing it. at the 3rd position.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

so your getting compression when the rotor is pointing towards the passenger front corner? if so it is 180 out.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

If your saying the outside part is facing to the #3 position that is ok as long as it doesn't put you past correct timing. or worse keep you from it. the inside part that moves with the engine turning is what needs to point t #1 position when your on the compression stroke and top dead center or TDC.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I agree on lining the distributor up.

I would turn the engine to top dead center on number one.

If the rotor does not point to number one, mark where number one is supposed to be and pull the distributor (careful DO NOT drop the oil pump drive). Reinstall the distributor with the vac canister pointing forward and the rotor pointing at number one.

People do strange things to engines so there is no telling how far off the distributor was and where the wires were moved to fix it.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

ok from the plug on top of the vacum port this is how i have my wires. this is going in counter clowise direc. 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8 . acording to the chiltons this is right. it just idles real rough now.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

now woul dbe the right time to set the timing with a light. if not you could set it by ear while its trying to run.
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

its fixed for now. the vacum line from the tranny was diconected. thats what was causing it to idle hard.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

so its all fixed now?