dont be stupid

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

greasemonkey060

dont be stupid

Post by greasemonkey060 »

so driving along, my truck dies at a stop. after revving it up, i was in too much of a hurry to shift it into drive before the idle came back down. after a loud bang of the driveshaft hitting the cab...broke the yoke. sliced one of the knuckles clean off. (you should have seen those u-joints *shakes head*)

from what it looks, easy fix:
new yoke.
new u-joints.
swift kick in the butt for being stupid.

in theory the old yoke should pretty much just slide out.
any one tips on replacing it i should know about?

thanks
-brandon

(i am ashamed for what i did, but i just needed advice to hear if its an easy fix or not)
'64 F100 SWB 8" notch, & triangulated four link w/ 2600 Firestone bags out back.
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: dont be stupid

Post by cobraF100 »

You may want to check the Tail Shaft Bushing to make sure it Not Damaged and check in the Bushing area to make sure it is Not cracked
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
Chasbod
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Chasbod »

Welcome to the club! I did the same thing a few years back...but mine was an intentional revving.

Better the yoke than a rear end or transmission housing!

Pretty simple fix.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

I had a '44 Willys coupe (before they were the big "rage") that had a 465 Buick in it and a Dynaflow... shift pattern was park, neutral, drive, low, (pull back) reverse.. I got in a big race one night and wound the Buick up and went to slap it into low and made reverse instead.. wound up with my teeth through my lip on the steering wheel... plus it scared the hell outta me.. so I limped home and parked it in front of the house.. Dad woke me up a few hours later and wanted it moved right now.. so I jumped in and fired it up, stomped on it, slapped it into low and it went about a foot in the air and never moved forward... dynaflow parts and fluid all over the ground.... :oops: guess the stress from the night's entertainment was just a bit too much for it... :lol: (but it sure made a believer out of me for tranny blankets!!)
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
bigdoug22

Post by bigdoug22 »

how about upshifting at 55 because the truck hasnt shifted out ou second and accindently going into reverse boy do the tires squeel i must admit the fmx is one tough tranny :o
72 f250 camper special and it only cost 200.00 and it has now soared over the $1000 mark
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

:lolprev:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
shrektruck

Post by shrektruck »

did something similar years ago in my Mom's Chrysler Newport. I just blew up the U-joint and ended up using a piece of rope to hold it together long enough to get home. My Dad wasn't happy but was so impressed with the "rope U-joint" that he at least didn't hit me.
67effie

Post by 67effie »

I didn't realize that a driveline needed to be shortened after lowering it 9" and totally destroyed 4 or 5 u-joints until and my carrier when I finally figured it out.
If at first you don't succeed. Get another beer.

Jeremy

1972 F-100 - currently under going complete frame off restoration
1997 Mustang GT Convertible- (gone but not forgotten, damn unemployment)
1996 Saleen S281 #247
1988 - Coupe, OSP car sold to public NEW, under construction, 1 of 3 that was supposed to go to Saleen in 1988.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=270
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

OUCH!! :eek:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: dont be stupid

Post by willowbilly3 »

hardtailjohn wrote:I had a '44 Willys coupe (before they were the big "rage") that had a 465 Buick in it and a Dynaflow... shift pattern was park, neutral, drive, low, (pull back) reverse.. I got in a big race one night and wound the Buick up and went to slap it into low and made reverse instead.. wound up with my teeth through my lip on the steering wheel... plus it scared the hell outta me.. so I limped home and parked it in front of the house.. Dad woke me up a few hours later and wanted it moved right now.. so I jumped in and fired it up, stomped on it, slapped it into low and it went about a foot in the air and never moved forward... dynaflow parts and fluid all over the ground.... :oops: guess the stress from the night's entertainment was just a bit too much for it... :lol: (but it sure made a believer out of me for tranny blankets!!)
John H.
John. FWIW the 465 was only the estimated torque rating. I think the engine was actually like 421 cubic inches.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
greasemonkey060

Post by greasemonkey060 »

67effie wrote:I didn't realize that a driveline needed to be shortened after lowering it 9" and totally destroyed 4 or 5 u-joints until and my carrier when I finally figured it out.
yeah, since then i fixed it. only to blow a u joint. im starting a collection.
'64 F100 SWB 8" notch, & triangulated four link w/ 2600 Firestone bags out back.
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

no the 465 horse power rating was a 425 ci the 401 ci was 435 horsepower when i was a kid dad had four 63 and 64 buick rivieras and i bought one also. it had the 401 ci.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

fordman wrote:no the 465 horse power rating was a 425 ci the 401 ci was 435 horsepower when i was a kid dad had four 63 and 64 buick rivieras and i bought one also. it had the 401 ci.
Pretty sure those numbers were the torque rating, not the horsepower.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

I was under the impression that it was the foot pounds of torque... I was told (never had to touch that engine, so didn't find out) that it was about 425 cubic inches... at any rate, it was one of the most smooth, and powerfull engines I've ever been behind!
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

bigdoug22 wrote:how about upshifting at 55 because the truck hasnt shifted out ou second and accindently going into reverse boy do the tires squeel i must admit the fmx is one tough tranny :o
:yt: I believe I have a C6 in mine and did the same thing at about 45. I was never going to tell anyone about that :oops: .