EDC heads for 390

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

EDC heads for 390

Post by 1971ford »

Arn't EDC (1958 352 heads) heads good for a 390 build? I did some searching on google and found nothing but people suggesting to use these heads for good 390 power. So i found a set on CL in Seattle for $250 (also a streetmaster390 intake for $175) and i have been talking to him and he sounds like a really good guy.
So i have sent the money to Heep70 to pick them up on saturday.

Then..
a guy off of race-dezert forums urged me to call him about the heads, so i did and he says .."those heads are SH*T, exhaust ports are horrible, intake is OK, you should sell them to someone restoring a 58 352 because they are worthless to you, you would be better off with edelbrock aluminum heads for $900 blah blah blah"
i told him i did some reseach for 390 builds and people were all suggesting EDC's to people and he says "you have to be sh*tting me, there is no way"

i believe the several guys suggesting these heads for 390 builds on various forums rather than this guy, but he still makes me weary. this is the pic that set him off :roll:
EDC- E
on the side: 79 _ F
i can still abort the mission or lust get the intake if something isnt right with the heads...

here are pics of heads and one of the intake. i plan to port them and bigger valves
-Ryan
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: EDC heads for 390

Post by fitzwell »

are the chambers machined??
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

he doesnt know for sure if they have any work to them or not. he got them with a bunch of other 428 heads.
-Ryan
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

EDC heads run a chamber much like a CJ, not the best chamber for tumble, but they are a good head, especially if you need the chamber size.

Add a set of CJ sized valves and its a nice setup. Not sure what your guy was saying, they are not significantly better or worse than any other early FE head.

Keep in mind, the exhaust port is different than a later pickup head though, may be an issue when picking headers
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

1971ford wrote:he doesnt know for sure if they have any work to them or not. he got them with a bunch of other 428 heads.
it's my understanding the first 90 days (or so) of production, the chambers were machined in those castings, as opposed to the chambers being left "as cast"
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I would think factoring in decent machinework and parts cost you will have close to what new edelbrock heads will cost.

Those heads look like the machined chamber heads. They've definitely been worked on at some point, the painted interiors are a giveaway some shop has had their way with them in the past. For me, I would pass on the heads not knowing exactly what's been done to them. FE heads are easy to screw up if a shop doesn't know what they're doing. Budget shops that get mill happy on the headgasket or intake surface will ruin heads (they'll never seal right on the intake surface).
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70