Truck runs great but dies out when turning left

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

MustangSteve

Truck runs great but dies out when turning left

Post by MustangSteve »

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
67 F100 SWB 1/2T, 240 I-6 with 3-spd.
This truck always starves for fuel on left hand turns. Almost impossible to take off from a light and turn left. It misses and bucks until you get it rolling straight again. Even on long sweeping freeway ramps that head off to the left, it will do the same thing. I rebuilt the carb and the truck runs much better...in a straight line or when turning right. STILL hesitates and bucks when turning left!!!!!! HELP! What does the fuel pickup look like in the bottom of the tank? Is it possible for something to be clogging the flow when turning left? Truck runs great otherwise...
MustangSteve

Stable includes
67 F100 SWB I-6 (trying to sell this one!)
68 F100 LWB 360 (rapidly becoming a pile of parts)
70 F100 SWB 390 (this is my "builder")
Someday all will become ONE
"Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money"...
AND...
66 Mustang fastback (see www.mustangsteve.com)
66 Mustang convertible
'00 Mustang coupe
'03 Mustang convertible
'06 Chevy HHR LT2 (oops!)
bumpside

Re: Truck runs great but dies out when turning left

Post by bumpside »

Don't turn left :doh: :lol: I couldn't resist.

Engine mount pinching line :?
Float level to low :?
Vent line in tank cloged :?
Water in gas tank :? Bad Cab mount causing rubber hose to pinch where it connects to tank outlet :?
Dry rubber hose collapsing :?
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

the tube in the bottom of the tanks i have seen is just a open tube. something could get lodged on the bottom of it. the easiest way i can think of to inspect the tanks inside is to remove the filler cap and remove the fuel guage sending unit. then look down itno the tank while shining a flashlight down throgh the fill spout. that is the onyl way i could see inside that dark tank.
bumpside

Post by bumpside »

Fordman,

I was thinking the same thing, but I couldn't think of anything that would block the pickup every time he turns left. I had a similar problem caused by a paper seal from a dry gas top, but it was only once in a while. Not every time. But who knows. :)
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i didnt find anything when i looked in mine. but i rana coat hanger wire down throught the tube while i was at it an cleaned some of the rust build up out of the tube. thats what prefilters are for. to catch the stuff coming out of the tank before it gets to the pump.
bumpside

Post by bumpside »

:yt: :)
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

Does it seem to matter how much gas you have in the tank? ie: will it do it with a FULL tank of gas?
The reason i ask is because if the pick-up tube in the tank does not go all the way to the bottom, or has some holes in it along the way, when you turn left , all the fuel in the tank will flow to the right hand side of the tank away from the pick-up tube. When you turn to the right, or strait ahead, the fuel is not "drawn" away from the tube.

If your tube has some holes in it, while the fuel goes to the pass. side of your truck it would allow the fuel pump to suck air and then you get the cough-and-choke symptoms.

My other thought is a weak fuel pump, however i have never seen turning right or left affect a fuel pump.
You said you went through the carb, so probably not needle/seat/float related.

Your problem seems to revolve around liquid moving right and left due to momentum. I would suspect something in the tank causing your problem. BTW, bumpside in cab tanks are not baffled, so its even possible to do a really hard left, really low on gas, and create this same problem in a good tank.

Good luck,
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

good answer two bit . i forgot all about the possiblity of holes in the pick up tube.
Faltura

Post by Faltura »

I had a 64 galaxie with a 289 that began stalling on right turns when I let off the gas and it turned out to be the power valve leaking and flooding the engine out on the turn. Rebuilt the carb and it did fine.
MustangSteve

Post by MustangSteve »

It does it with a 100% full tank of gas also. I also was hoping it was the carb, but that was not the case. The truck runs perfect otherwise. I did notice that the ground wire between the firewall and the block was disconnected. I will stick that back on in the hope that some electrical gremlin may be playing tricks on me. Not holding my breath on that one, though.

Today I put my ballbearing kit on the clutch pedal shaft. WHAT A PAIN getting that pedal support out of there! Started by removing the hood, steering column, instrument cluster. Plus a bucket full of previous owner's wiring garbage. Why do people use 300 feet of wire to install a stereo? Also had an inop aftermarket intermittent wiper gizmo that I pulled out.
MustangSteve

Stable includes
67 F100 SWB I-6 (trying to sell this one!)
68 F100 LWB 360 (rapidly becoming a pile of parts)
70 F100 SWB 390 (this is my "builder")
Someday all will become ONE
"Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money"...
AND...
66 Mustang fastback (see www.mustangsteve.com)
66 Mustang convertible
'00 Mustang coupe
'03 Mustang convertible
'06 Chevy HHR LT2 (oops!)
The Good Humor Man

Post by The Good Humor Man »

After I had my motor rebuilt, I had my truck doing weird things when I would deacelerate, I finally found that I didn't have a good ground to my body, when I would let off the gas, the ground from the motor to the body went away. I ran a wire from the battery to the body, and not problems since.
Mine wasn't running bad, but I thought about it when I read this, and figured I would toss it out.
http://WWW.GoodHumorTrucks.Com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------