Trying to find TDC in new 300

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

robwymer

Trying to find TDC in new 300

Post by robwymer »

:help:

My buddy and I just swapped in a new 300 straight six into my 67. I know the timing marks on the crank and camshaft gears are lined up, but I couldn't wait to install the cleaned and freshly painted oil pan, timing cover and crank pulley. Man it looked so good, I just had to put it back in the truck right away :hd: So after that, I go to the bathroom and come back to find my buddy hand cranking the engine to start the valve adjustments. At first I was thinking "cool", until I realized that the distributor wasn't in yet :doh:

After looking closely at the crank pulley, I can see where someone has chiseled a deep notch which might be TDC, but there are no other obvious marks for timing, and I'm pretty sure the crank turns twice for each cam revolution.

I really don't want to take the timing cover off because the engine is in the truck and I don't want to run the risk of having to redo the oil pan gasket :cry:

Isn't TDC the top of the compression stroke? If so, can I find TDC at #1 by covering the spark plug hole with my finger and hand turning the engine? Theoretically, it should be obvious when I am on the compression stroke because the compression will try to blow my finger off the hole. Once the air rushes by my finger, shouldn't I be able to set TDC based on the highest point of the cylinder? Once I find TDC, I should be able to set the distributor to just before the points open for #1 cylinder, right?

I really don't want to have to tear this engine apart again to set TDC!
67 F-100 Flareside, 300, Offenhauser 360, Holley 390, Duraspark and MSD ignition, NP-435 4-speed, 3.55 Dana 60, and it will absolutely roast 30" rear tires taking off in 2nd (the one time I tried scared the Bejeezus out of me)

Next engine mod: RV cam (252*)

"They just don't make 'em like they used to."
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Trying to find TDC in new 300

Post by Dragon »

Yep that is how you do it. The dampener with a chisel mark is supposed to have a degree pointer arm the mark will only line up at 1 and 6.

Or you could be like me and then stick it in and move the spark plug wires to where they belong.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

Take an old spark plug and break out the insulator, Find a wooden dowel that fits the hole tightly and leave 3/4 inch or so sticking out the cylinder side. Insert it in the engine in cylinder 1 and hand crank until the piston hits it. Mark the balancer using the timing pointer and a felt marker. Now turn the engine the other way until it hits again and mark the balancer again. Exactly half way between the two marks is TDC. This does not tell you if you are on your compression stroke or not but it will get you to the top perfectly if tehre is a doubt about balancer mark accuracy. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
robwymer

Post by robwymer »

Thanks guys! I must have the timing close, because it starts :D

However, it keeps dying, and won't run long enough to adjust the timing. I think it might be a fuel problem, maybe my crappy old 1-bbl carb that I always had to douse with starter fluid to start the truck before I replaced the engine. I have a 4-bbl intake and Holley 390, but I need the throttle linkage. What parts do I need to hook up the new carb?
67 F-100 Flareside, 300, Offenhauser 360, Holley 390, Duraspark and MSD ignition, NP-435 4-speed, 3.55 Dana 60, and it will absolutely roast 30" rear tires taking off in 2nd (the one time I tried scared the Bejeezus out of me)

Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Do a search for 4V and I6 I posted a pick of a an adapter that turns the carb front to back so you can use regular rod. It won't work if you go an offy dual port.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

You might look into a cable throttle from a dentside too.
I have noticed a lot of 300s have 2 sets of marks on the timing cover so you have to get the right set.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
robwymer

Post by robwymer »

Dragon,
Your bracket looks cool, great ingenuity! :thup:

But I indeed have an Offy 360 dual port and a Holley 390 (part #8007). Maybe I can fab up something similar. I just installed a brand new 300 with a 252 degree RV CAM and electronic ignition via 1978 duraspark, MSD 6AL ignition box, 42K volt Accel coil and Autocraft Platinum plugs. I've been working on it in my spare time for about a month now and finally got it running. It runs great :woohoo: and I can't wait to drive it and see how it compares with the original 240 with the 1-barrel. I also have some headers for it - thats next!

Only problem is, I can't control the throttle from inside the cab. Going back to the stock intake with the old carb is not an option because the old carb is done - I tried. Willowbilly, I'll take a look at LMC and see if I get a good look at a dentside throttle cable setup.

Thanks!

Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

In the offy catalog they have 90 degree bell-crank linkage On small motors or even FEs with 4150 Holleys we had to turn then sides so the float bowls would clear. The cute part of that is one carb primaries are on the right and the other on the left.

Go here
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku That is one part of the dual 90 degree I used. A simple bracket and it is solved.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test