72 Durango tan or Lt. goldenrod yellow

Moderator: FORDification

Ozark Tim

72 Durango tan or Lt. goldenrod yellow

Post by Ozark Tim »

Hey fellers. Some time back there was a discussion regarding some unusual colors and it was stated then that the color of my 72 Explorer was Lt. goldenrod yellow. The code on the door is an X. I am typing this and have not looked at the color charts on the site, so please bear with me.
When I went to buy paint today to do some touch up on the bed seam in the rear fender, the guy at the Dupont store put code X in his computer and it came up as Durango tan. I of course said " this cant be" as I know I was told that the color was called Lt. goldenrod yellow. We played around and when we typed in the dupont number for Ford's code X , or Durango tan it came up as guess what? That is correct. Lt. Goldenrod yellow.
Call me crazy for not knowing, but it looks like those two colors are one in the same.
The Dupont # for 1972 F-series paint code X is 5237A. Not that you would choose to paint your truck this color, but then again.........
OT
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: 72 Durango tan or Lt. goldenrod yellow

Post by FORDification »

Different paint suppliers often had different names for the same paint code. Code X is (as you've found out) Lt. Goldenrod Yellow per Ford's brochures, and PPG simply calls it Lt. Goldenrod, while Martin Senour calls it Durango Tan. But it's all the same thing.

There's a breakdown of the color codes from various manufacturers at the following address, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a Dupont sheet to add them to the list, but do have the codes from Ford, PPG and Martin Senour.

http://www.fordification.com/data-1972.htm

You can actually view the paint chip sheets by going to http://www.fordification.com/lit-home.htm and scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking on the thumbnails.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

It's all in a name. Light Golden Rod (PPG2298) is a '72-only color and Durango Tan (PPG2298) is a '73-only color. They are both the same color, only the name changed.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
Ozark Tim

Post by Ozark Tim »

Thank you for these answers. I was just a bit surprised when the guy at Dupont told me I had a tan truck and it is definately yellow. I suppose you could see it as a form of tan, but to me it is yellow. We actually decided that the best way to proceed was to mix a slight amount of code X and see what it looked like. Of course it was a match and that was the most important part.
Thanks again,
OT
OLEYELLERTRUCK

Post by OLEYELLERTRUCK »

My 72 is code X, and the letter from Ford calls it Durango Tan. When I gave them the code to buy my paint a couple of weeks ago, the can said light golden rod. Very weird.