Electronic ignition conversion

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Electronic ignition conversion

Post by SteveC »

dont quote me but i just pulled this off their site IGNITOR II FORD 6 CYL 91261 http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_n ... 6486.0.0.0 that is for the pertronix ignitor II

and i think the original pertronix is # 1261 .... the best thing to do would be just to call them and tell them what you have
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
MadMaxetc
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by MadMaxetc »

Get the Coil, Dizzy, and Box from your local autoparts store. Then head to the nearest salvage yard and get the coil, box and wires from an old truck. 9/10 of the boxes in the yard are still good. Never seen a coil or a dizzy go bad.

Use the 79 parts. They are the last revision before DSIII.

No need to run an MSD box unless you have ported heads and a racing motor.
Dan

Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4 / Work In Progress!
Daily Driver: '67 F-250 Converted to F-100 LWB / 300 / T-5 / 9" 3.70:1 / 235/75R15 Tires
1/4 mile in 17.64s @ 75mph (it's 4200lbs!!!)
"Work Harder! Millions On Welfare Depend On YOU!!"

FORD Girl

Photobucket Pictures
dmichel123

Post by dmichel123 »

Well, we swapped it out(with a DSII dizzy and module) and it started and ran for a while a few times. Can somebody walk me through getting the timing set? It seems like it will start with the timing retarded, and then needs to be advanced to keep running.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

hopefully you got the dist back in pointing correctly. other than that you just put the timing on anywhere from 6-12 depending on where it will run correctly. but it could be that ist only one tooth off on the dist gear. the #1 piston must be on top and the dist rotor is suppose to point to number one when you install the dist. if the rotor turns too far when you put the dist in then it could be off one tooth.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Going from retard to advance to run is too weird. It should start at 6 just to try. Find number one on the dampener or number 6 it matters not. How do you tell which is the right one. Loosen number one plug to about 1 or two threads. As the engine is turned towards # 1 the plug will hiss and blow air that is leaking past it. If the plug does not release compression you are on number 6. Make sure the same number cylinder is in the right place on the cap. 15426378 firing order counterclockwise on the cap. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the dizzy and cap the line. Do you have 2 ports for vacuum on the dizzy?

Idle set down to about 800 to keep the advance mechanism out of the timing equation.

Try to fire the motor once the plug is back in.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Anyone running a six should go to the Fordsix forums. Tons of good info and experience there.
I converted one in my 72 with all stock parts and was very happy with it, eventually. I had forgot to run a wire from the starter relay to the coil and it was hard starting cold.
Lots of the guys on Fordsix are using the TFI coil and a Chevy HEI module.
I have a complete Duraspark from an 80 Bronco and pulled all the harness and all, very easy to figure out. You can also use your old coil if you like but the Duraspark harness connector won't clip on.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

dmichel123 wrote:Well, we swapped it out(with a DSII dizzy and module) and it started and ran for a while a few times. Can somebody walk me through getting the timing set? It seems like it will start with the timing retarded, and then needs to be advanced to keep running.
The Dizzy is wired backwards. On the plug that is on the dizzy, there is 3 prongs. The two identical ones (the ones facing the same way) the wires connecting to them need to be reversed. I had the same problem with mine. It fired right up However, upon doing that, I discovered the USED dizzy I had was bad so I bought a new re-manufactured one. When I tried to start it with the new dizzy, It wouldn't start but then I remembered I wired the old dizzy backwards so the old one would start. Wired correctly that one started but the vacuum advance was bad so out it came and third one was a charm.
Last edited by sideoilerfe on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
dmichel123

Post by dmichel123 »

I haven't got around to messing with it anymore, but I've got info about the GM module swap, and will try to find a TFI coil after I get it going.... Would it even start up if I had the No. 1 piston on the exhaust stroke??
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if you were 180 outit coudl try and start maybe. but it would run like junk. or it wouldn't run at all either one. i have seen them do all kinds of wierd stuff to me when they were 180 out. i had a dist i restabbed three times because i thought it was 180 to begin with. turned out it had to have been something else. becuase it finally started once i got it put back to where it originally was in the first place.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

When 180 only what fires? You catch cylinders on the intake stroke and other unfired cylinders on the exhaust stroke never do you catch one on the compression stroke.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

your right what the heck was i thinking. thats what i get for going to sleep and not being correctly awake.
craftsman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by craftsman »

Ignitor part number for the 300 and 240 is 1261. :thup: