Changing intake gasket should I change the head gaske

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

coop

Changing intake gasket should I change the head gaske

Post by coop »

I have a 70 F250 W/390 Camper Special the motor has 40,000 original miles and the intake manifold is leaking oil front and rear at the cork gaskets. While I am doing the intake should I pull the heads and replace the head gaskets or leave them be? If i did pull the heads does anyone have suggestions on what to have performed to them. My exhaust manifolds keep leaking blowing by the gaskets can i have them milled for a better seal?
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Changing intake gasket should I change the head gaske

Post by hotrod ford »

it all depends. if they are bad or suspect yes, if its not broke don't fix it. if do decide to though you should take a look at the other gaskets:water pump, thermo housing, exhaust and so on to make sure they don't need replacing. it would be the perfect time to kill two birds with one stone.
1971 Sport Custom SWB: 360/C6 3.00
1965 Ford Falcon 4Dr: Inline 170 3sp
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

If you've gone that far you might as well just pull the heads. Have a reputable machine shop mill the head AND the exhaust manifolds and then when you re-assemble them, you don't have to use gaskets because both the head and the manifolds will be machined flat. No gasket to blow means no leaks.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if you pull the heads you could open up a new can of worms. for one the exhaust manifold bolts coul dbreak off in the heads and then you woul dhave to drill those out. the advantages would be that you could get the heads worked over if you pulled them off. do they need worked over is the question i guess.
coop

Post by coop »

I already have the exhaust manifolds off no broken bolts whew. Its a tough call maybe i should flip a coin. Do you think just milling the ex manifolds would solve the problem? I have the whole front of the engine tore off the radiator was leaking so i can stand in the engine bay. Would there be anything to do to the heads to bring them up to date from 1970 valve seats? The engine was designed for leaded fuel.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I wouldn't unless there is some reason to suspect they need to come off.

It probably has steel shim head gaskets and replacing them with composition would make the compression even lower.

By the time you put hardened seats in and completely rework the heads you will be at least halfway to a set of Edelbrock heads.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
convincor
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by convincor »

DuckRyder wrote: By the time you put hardened seats in and completely rework the heads you will be at least halfway to a set of Edelbrock heads.
last time I did a set of iron heads, new guides, exhaust valves, springs, retainers, keeps and 3 angle valve job it cost me $900. This was before Edelbrocks were out.
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/edelbro ... bford.html
68 Custom Cab Shorty, 390, C6, 9"-3.50:1 Currie T/L
"Still Plays With Trucks"
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/convincor/F100/
coop

Post by coop »

Right on the heads are staying put for now aint broken don't mess with it. Thanks for all the input it was much appreciated.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

At 40,000 original miles you better pull those heads and check for hardened seats. The chance that they get changed out is better with the more miles driven.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

like always i read your post to fast and just stasrted talking without getting the whole story. i am sorry. the last time my exhuast manifolds leaked we put two gasket per side to stop the leaks. i didnt know anything about milling the manifolds back then.
coop

Post by coop »

what is the cost to change the valve seats to hardend ones? and it's only the exhaust? Can a compression test or leak down test confirm if the valve seats are going bad? I really dont have $900.00 to spend on having the heads rebuilt right now.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

What happens is that the exhaust valve seats will begin to recede into the head.

Compression, leakdown and an inspection of the valve stem heights should tell you if there is a problem.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

900 bucks WHERE I can get rebuilt heads stock from Checker, Autozone and Napa for less than 300 a head. And they will all already have Hardened seats.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
coop

Post by coop »

convincor wrote:
DuckRyder wrote: By the time you put hardened seats in and completely rework the heads you will be at least halfway to a set of Edelbrock heads.
last time I did a set of iron heads, new guides, exhaust valves, springs, retainers, keeps and 3 angle valve job it cost me $900. This was before Edelbrocks were out.
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/edelbro ... bford.html
I was referring to what was quoted. I am in quite the quandry. If the manifold wasnt pissing oil I would not have gone this far with the engine. Then maybe I would eventually have valve problems, then I would be digging into the heads. For now I think they are better left alone. By the time they take a crap then I will have the money and time to upgrade them.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Ahh
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test