Ignition switch or solenoid?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

bkdallas

Ignition switch or solenoid?

Post by bkdallas »

OK, lately when I try to start my truck with the key I get that clicking sound like a low battery (battery is good). I put my remote starter on the solenoid and battery and she'll kick over. I'm then able to start it with the key. :? This started happening (not immediately but after a few starts) after I put in a Pertronix I (using stock coil, ballast wire still in place). I'm thinking this is probably a coincidence (I hope). Bad ignition switch?? Thanks.
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Ignition switch or solenoid?

Post by Hawkrod »

Not the ignition switch, it can't make the solenoid buzz beyond allowing other components to use voltage. More than likely a bad battery connection or ground from your description. Look at the battery connections, the cables where they go into the lugs, the ground from the battery to the block and the block to the firewall. Bet one of them is weak. A loose solenoid or voltage regulator can contribute or cause it too so make sure it is well mounted. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
bkdallas

Post by bkdallas »

I'll check that :pray: ....after she's warmed up, she starts instantly. Man I hate electrical stuff. Thanks
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

battery corrotion is the worst thing i have seen happen to connections on the battery or the bolt on type of battery cable ends. i am going to stop using those ends and go with molded only types. unless its an emergency or im in a big hurry.