302 w/ holley mid range miss

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

JEF199

302 w/ holley mid range miss

Post by JEF199 »

I have a stock 84 302 W/ elder. preformer and holley 4v that idles fine but starts missing 1500 to 4000 and then clears up above that. It even miss crusing down the road at 55. I pulled the front half of carb replaced power valve and acc pump it has 65 mains. Blew thru all pasages w/ carb cleaner. Checked timing it was 10 and advances when reved up (Duraspark). It seems to be a fuel problem to me but it did the same w/ the stock 2v and all of thos vac lines.I changed intake and carb but it still has a miss.O'yea the engine is a jasper reman w/15k on it. Anyone have any Ideas?
  • 1966 Ford Mustang (My First Car)
    • 1972 F250 360 3-speed
      • 1984 Bronco
      1999 Eddie Bauer Expedition
    2006 F250 5.4 Super Duty 4-door
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 302 w/ holley mid range miss

Post by fordman »

i am no good at this kind of work. but if it done it before and after the swap i would say it was electrical. maybe something to do with the duraspark box. but get more opinions than mine before you say that is it. because i am guessing.
bumpside

Post by bumpside »

I would think it is ignition related also. Before you get in to the Dursspark check the fuel filter and fuel pressure. It is a long shot, but the pump may falter between 1500 and 4000rpm and pump enough over 4000 just because it is cycling faster. Also put some dry gas in the tank incase you picked up some gas with water in it. From there if it is still bad, lookat the rest of the ign, wires, and the coil. I hope this will be some help :)
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

Plug wires???
Would also be interesting to watch fuel pressure in that range & see what happens? If the pump has a return line, try blocking that off & see if the problem goes away.
FWIW...65's are a hair large for your stock app. Try a set of 62-63's & see what it does.
One other possible culprit...pickup coil. if the vac advance is moving it & the wires going into the pickup coil have a break, if COULD cause a singal loss. Rare, but i've seen it happen.
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------