Question on with parts to use

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

DuckRyder

Re: Question on with parts to use

Post by DuckRyder »

With headers come the hassle of occasionally tightening bolts and the header "ping" that you will get from them. Again if you do use them use good ones and the hassles will be minimal. I'd say Hooker and Headman. Also Hooker sells an exhaust system in a box to fit their headers.

If you don't get headers it is absolutely imperative that the cam you use have more exhaust duration and lift than it does on the intake. Even with them it should. I still think the 343901 (343902 for a kit) is an excellent choice.

Good advice on the Holley jets in the head's oiling holes and #90 is correct for what most people use on stock rockers.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
FORD428CJ

Post by FORD428CJ »

I agree with most of the stuff said except I would call Oregon Cam Grinders and talk to Ken about what you have and what you are trying to do. He will punch you out a killer cam for your application! I'm not a fan for off the shelf cams (or run of the mill). His prices are "VERY" reasonable. Besides that Ken has a lot of FE experience himself.... Check it out. JMHO

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/index.html
Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
79 F-250 X-Cab 4x4 6.9 Turbo Diesel
64 Falcon X-Ram 428
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
67 Stang 351 C/J
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

I put headers on a stock 352 that ran very strong and noticed nothing. Headers are overrated in stock engines and unless you've got 500HP, I would save your money. FE log manifolds suck but so does spending a couple hundred bucks on headers and noticing no gain. I have the Crane 343941 cam and manifolds and have no problem reaching 5500 RPMs. Headers might help a little but the cost vs difference is not justifiable. I thought about those Sanderson shorties and the next engine I might go that route but a basically stock engine won't see that much difference.

Most guys claim they notice big differences with headers and louder exhaust but I think it is just the fact that they now can hear the system more and drive it a bit harder intentionally to hear it and in turn the truck goes faster.

A lot of great advice given above. I think the 343901 cam would work great for your application. BTW, I have a bone stock 360 with a 2.5" single exhaust and it runs and tows pretty good. Yours with a 901 cam will definitely run stronger.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
FORD428CJ

Post by FORD428CJ »

sideoilerfe wrote:I put headers on a stock 352 that ran very strong and noticed nothing. Headers are overrated in stock engines and unless you've got 500HP, I would save your money. FE log manifolds suck but so does spending a couple hundred bucks on headers and noticing no gain. I have the Crane 343941 cam and manifolds and have no problem reaching 5500 RPMs. Headers might help a little but the cost vs difference is not justifiable. I thought about those Sanderson shorties and the next engine I might go that route but a basically stock engine won't see that much difference.

Most guys claim they notice big differences with headers and louder exhaust but I think it is just the fact that they now can hear the system more and drive it a bit harder intentionally to hear it and in turn the truck goes faster.

A lot of great advice given above. I think the 343901 cam would work great for your application. BTW, I have a bone stock 360 with a 2.5" single exhaust and it runs and tows pretty good. Yours with a 901 cam will definitely run stronger.
You don't need a 500+HP to justify having headers on your rig! I don't quite buy that. I'm sure headers make a little more power then the stock logs do in stock form. If you are going to add an intake, aftermarket cam, carb and so on. It just doesn't make since not to have headers on a rig. I might be out to lunch on that but I don't think I am.......JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
79 F-250 X-Cab 4x4 6.9 Turbo Diesel
64 Falcon X-Ram 428
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
67 Stang 351 C/J
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I'm surprised to say the least you're running logs with the 941 cam and are happy. I sure well know the difference between an engine that sounds fun and one that actually puts power to the ground and I'd say long tubes make a very noticeable difference on an FE, even a stock one.

Yeah, header leaks suck and they're inherant, but log manifolds suck worse IMHO.

Long tube headers are not built for all-out high RPM racing. Street long tubes are usually made for best mid range power. In my experience that's exactly where long tube headers shine on an old FE truck. I've run the Sanderson shorties on a mild 390. To me, they sucked worse than logs on a truck. They hurt bottom end power considerably. Short headers with large primaries are far from ideal in a truck.

I was also not at all impressed with Sandersons workmanship. For the rediculous price they charge for those things, and the fact you have to wait for them to make them usually I expected a lot more. Headmans are much better quality than Sandersons and can be had jet-hot coated for 2/3 the price of plain steel Sandersons.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

averagef250 wrote:I'm surprised to say the least you're running logs with the 941 cam and are happy. I sure well know the difference between an engine that sounds fun and one that actually puts power to the ground and I'd say long tubes make a very noticeable difference on an FE, even a stock one.

Yeah, header leaks suck and they're inherant, but log manifolds suck worse IMHO.

Long tube headers are not built for all-out high RPM racing. Street long tubes are usually made for best mid range power. In my experience that's exactly where long tube headers shine on an old FE truck. I've run the Sanderson shorties on a mild 390. To me, they sucked worse than logs on a truck. They hurt bottom end power considerably. Short headers with large primaries are far from ideal in a truck.

I was also not at all impressed with Sandersons workmanship. For the rediculous price they charge for those things, and the fact you have to wait for them to make them usually I expected a lot more. Headmans are much better quality than Sandersons and can be had jet-hot coated for 2/3 the price of plain steel Sandersons.
I've never tried the Sandersons and you're right, they're pricey. Good to know about the poor workmanship. You'd think at that price they would make a quality product.

As I mentioned, I put long tube headers on a 65 F250 with a strong FE and I was disappointed when I noticed no change in power/performance. I had no issues with leaks or starters but I could have saved some money and just replaced the broken manifolds instead. If I'm going to spend money on headers, (and spend the time putting them on) I better notice a difference.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!