R&R engine without removing manual trans

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

coletrain777

R&R engine without removing manual trans

Post by coletrain777 »

Hey guys,
Haven't been around in a long time, promise to get that corrected, but I have a question for ya. I am replacing an engine for a guy in a 74 f250 4x4 (I know it's a dent but this is the only site I trust for good info), and I need to know something. The guy needed it done fairly quickly so I didn't remove the front clip like i normally would (lots of rust on this one), and I just pulled the engine with the trans still in the chassis. It is the T19 trans so it's a manual, and I don't remember ever replacing an engine on a manual with the trans still in the truck??? I already have the all the clutch related gear back on the new engine and am just wondering if I am in for a world of grief trying to get the input shaft of the trans to go into the clutch and everything seating together like it should with the trans still in the truck? Is it doable??? I don't think it will be that bad, but I need to have it done this evening and I don't have time to waste beating my head against a wall that isn't going to move (story of my life most of the time). Any quick advice as to the best route is appreciated. Thanks Cole
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: R&R engine without removing manual trans

Post by Hawkrod »

I don't have any advice but it is doable. I just did that one myself on my 77. Mine was tougher because of teh mated transfer case but it is all in getting the engine to trans angle right and having the clutch disc aligned properly. It wasn't a joy but it happened. Also, put the bellhousing and throwout on the trans first so all you are dealing with is the clutch and pilot alighnment. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

It's usually pretty easy. Make sure you line up the clutch disc correctly.

You will not get it in with the tranny attached to the engine unless you pull the top plate, just asking for trouble going that route.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
bumpside

Post by bumpside »

Only thing I can add is, put the trans in gear, and release the parking brake if it will not go all the way in. Then rock the truck forward or back so the input shaft will turn a little to line the spline up with the disc. I fought for an hour once before a friend told me to try it. The two went together instantly. :) :fr:
1972 SWB Ranger XLT
`We'll hold the distinction of being the only Nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poor house in an automobile.' (Will Rogers)
coletrain777

Post by coletrain777 »

great tips guys,
I would have never remembered the trans in gear trick if you wouldn't have said that. I love how easy it is to work on these old trucks. Now I just have to get the woodstove and insulation installed in my new shop (BRRRR!).
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

On a 250 4x4, put it in 4th and with the t-case in nuetral you can use the center driveline to turn the input if rocking the truck is a pain (rocking never worked for me).
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
coletrain777

Post by coletrain777 »

Dustin,
Never thought of that, it will work as well. Good tip...

Also, the transfer case is in 4hi currently, how do I get it back into 2hi with no clutch. It won't shift for anything???
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

They do not shift easily. Rip on the shifter. It will move.