electric fan thermoswitch

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

tchrincali

electric fan thermoswitch

Post by tchrincali »

Hey there y'all:

I have a '67 Ford F250 Camper Special 133K original miles. Runs well, but needs a few things. I replaced the stock fan w/an electric one. OK, two 16" fans, but that's another story. I thought if one is good, two must be better. I will be removing one, as the two don't fit together-too wide. Anyway, I have a manual switch for fan, but I would like to use a thermo switch. I have seen, and would like to use, a switch that directly taps into coolant temp. Where do I get such a thing, and where do I install it? Also, At hat temp should fan kick on, and do these switches come in different temps? Thanks for the help :?
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: electric fan thermoswitch

Post by Dragon »

The best way is to use the kit that mounts to the fins for the sensor.

I have my single 16 pulling. When summer comes I probably add another on the front pushing as it gets real hot here.

My Thermostat is 180 degree and my sensor is mounted by the radiator outlet and adjusted to 180 so my fan only comes on if the radiator is returning water hotter than 180.

I use the Hayden 3700 fan and the 3653 econo adjustable temp sensor. Weird to get out of that truck and hear that large fan roaring.
http://www.haydenauto.com/catalogs/hayd ... c-fans.pdf

When I did this to my racing trucks I used a 12 at 160 and a 10 at 200 both pulling and I could idle my 390 race motor forever and never kick the 10 on in the Mojave desert. 4 core radiator.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
tchrincali

Post by tchrincali »

Thanks, Dragon. Hadn't thought of the push/pull combo-makes sense. Since the a/c is non-op, I'm going to pull the condenser to make room. Maybe I'll set the puller at one temp, and the pusher a little higher. It can get pretty warm here in SoCal. :fr:
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

That econo adjustable even cools for long enough that when it is done running when I shut down it does not later start up from not cooling the engine water enough.

I moved my racer to San Diego and my 12 - 10 combo worked there.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

IIRC there is a water outlet for a later 75-76 390 that has a tapped hole in it. Why not use a coolant fan switch, i.e., a painless 30111 in that location to turn on the cooling fan. If you have a pusher for the a/c condensor why not trigger it off of the hot wire to the ac compressor?
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------