Will it start after 6 years? 69 F100

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Nate's69F100

Re: Will it start after 6 years? 69 F100

Post by Nate's69F100 »

Nate's mom here. Wow...thanks guys for all the encouragement. I'm not going to take up time and space here to answer each one but please know that Nathan and I both have read every one of your replies and will take all of the advice. Well, except maybe not the one about cleaning the carburetor in the bedroom! :nono: :D As for the gas tank, I think it's too far gone. I called a radiator shop and to clean and seal it will cost almost as much as a new one. I found one at online at Mac's Truck Parts. Any other suggestions? How about moving it to under the bed? The alternator sounds horrible and I don't think it will recover so a new one is on the "want" list. The brakes are next though. I'm sure Nate will be checking here for help because that is something I know very little about. So all of this brake advice is already helpful. He's anxious to move it too but the transmission hasn't been checked out yet either.

I hope you all understand how cool it is (for a mom) to see this. Nathan has sat in that truck when it was back in the weeds and he drove countless imaginary miles in it from the time he was big enough to climb up in it. This is a big deal for us! To the one a few replies back who noticed the stereo, yes that is his in truck stereo. :roll:

Here's a video of 'the moment' that it rumbled to life although it sounds awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYlChd0OmC8

Becky
I swear momma! The tires just spin by themselves!!

1969 F100 SWB 300
2002 mustang 5 speed
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I thought the same thing about cleaning carbs in the bedroom. :lol: :lol:

This might be a good time to get the gas tank out of the cab but fabrication will be required to relocate it. I like the rear mount, between the frame rails, but finding one to fit isn't a straight up deal.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

My very first car at the ripe age of 13 was a '65 Dodge Coronet. I helped a neighbor haul hay for a full weekend in exchange for it, after I saw it parked out behind his barn. We towed it home, found out the engine was stuck and worthless, and since my dad didn't want to invest any money into it (and I was too young to afford it), I decided to educate myself on everything automotive. Anything that could be torn apart was...and if I couldn't unbolt it, it got cut open, just so I could see what was inside.

Certain engine components, like the carburetor, got cleaned up and brought inside, where it sat on my dresser for several years. Any time I was bored, I'd tear that thing down and reassemble it. Needless to say, it wasn't along before I could completely disassemble/reassemble that thing in no time flat! :lol:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
67MercM100

Post by 67MercM100 »

Becky (& Nate),

Sounds like you've been pretty throrough. I'm in the same boat as you. I got my truck sight unseen, knowing it hadn't been run in about 6 years.

I've done plugs, wires, coil, dist cap, points, condensor, solenoid, oil change, radiator fill (so i don't blow it up trying to figure out if it's any good), old donor battery (constantlly on the charger) out of my 66 Monterey. At that point, mine turned over fine. It didn't run, but it cranked really nice. With a little "starting fluid" sprayed into the carb it would run for a second or two. So I figured that meant it had the potential to run. But a little "ether" can help get things flowing.

Running the fuel pump "in" line directly to a can of gas proved that it would run. It also proved that the problem was "up the line"...and that the fuel pump leaked. After blowing out the line, I got it running on its own. Now I think I've fried the solenoid...'cuz its dead.

I'm pretty sure my carb need a LOT of attention. It dies (died?) at anything other than fast idle. But I think I've determined the 300 inline 6 is OK. So now I can get some "good" stuff on it (like NOT a 1 barrell carb).

I say, "go for it". After that, just try to isolate any problems that might crop up. I'm a computer programmmer...that's what I do all day long. It just isn't as dirty and there are far fewer frozen bolts.
old_mare

Post by old_mare »

I am smiling from ear to ear thinking about how it must have felt when Nate heard that beast fire for the first time. Applause to everyone who helped them out. And applause to you, Becky for being (pardon my lack of better adjectives...) a friggen' awesome Mom!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think we should declare a national "give a kid a bump" day. ...No. After reading that, we shouldn't call it that. Maybe "give a kid a 67-72 Ford Truck" day. :lol:

Congrats to you guys!!

-JT- :fr:
"I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess." -Red Green

I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!

1930 Tudor : 1930 Pickup : 1969 F250 Custom
390F100

Post by 390F100 »

:yt: Just not mine :thup: lol

"There's no replacement for displacement"
1968 Ford F-100 2wd 390FE
1993 Toyota P/U 22RE
2001 Toyota Camry 2.2
2004 Toyota Solara 2.4
2007 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom
2007 Suzuki S40 650
Nate's69F100

Post by Nate's69F100 »

Hello! I just wanted to let all of you know that the truck is running really good now, the alternator finally stopped that clicking sound. the only thing that rattles on it now is the headlight. (easy fix) Thanks to everybody that has helped and given advice, it has helped me tremendously! I will continue posting every few days, and i do read every one of your comments. so "Thank You!"
I swear momma! The tires just spin by themselves!!

1969 F100 SWB 300
2002 mustang 5 speed
mikeconner1

Post by mikeconner1 »

These guys have covered most everything. I watched your youtube video, and it sounds like its not cranking in time, as though you had spark plug wires in the wrong position. First, as everyone else said, check to see if you have spark. The basics are spark, fuel, and timing. If you have spark & fuel, it should start provided that the engine is in time. Even if the compression ain't great, it will probably run, just not too well. Check your firing order and the position of the wires on the cap, and while you're at it, make sure the rotor inside the distributor is turning while you have the cap off. The points should be gapped at 19 with your feeler gauge, or use an old Ford guy tool, the matchbook cover (do they still make matches in those little books? Quit smoking 15 years ago, so I don't use them much anymore). Make sure that the points & condenser are not making contact with each other, as some parts stores might sell you something that ain't exactly the right stuff, and contact between the two can cancel your spark. Had that happen in my '66 Bronco 170 CID once, about drove me crazy before I found it. Again, it sounds like in the video that you've got some wires in the wrong place, but start from the beginning with a good manual ( I think there are resources on this site that will give you things like firing order and such) and make sure everything's where it should be.

Hang in there, and I think its great that you've encouraged your son to take up restoring an old Ford. There's not too many things in life that will give him more pleasure & satisfaction that fixing up his own ride. Lots worse things out there you could be spending time & money on. Kudos!
One last thing, I recommend a subscription to Classic Trucks magazine for your son for Christmas. Lots of ideas and truck "eye candy" in there.
'40 pickup, '51 F6, '54 F100, '56 F600, '59 F100, '60 F100,
'64 Unibody, '64 F100, '66 F100, '66 Bronco, '67 Fairlane (wife's) '68 F100,
'72 F250 '72 F100, '77 F100 4X4, '83 F150 4X4, !944 2N, 1951 8N, 1952 8N, 1953 Jubilee
1960 881 Select O Speed, 1961 801, yeah I'm eat up with it.
Non-Ford: '41 Plymouth, '55 Desoto, '67 Jaguar 420, '72 Mercedes 220
'84 Subaru GL turbo coupe. I need more garage, maybe an empty Wal-Mart.