Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

I'm plannning on doing the tune-up on my 71 w/ 300 this weekend. Probably Sunday. I know I can dig out all the gap settings and such but it would take a while to find it. And Mrs wildcard insists the yard be cleaned up and Christmas decorations be put up today. So can someone throw them out for me real quick ? :pray: BTW, where should the timing be set ? It's still where the shop set it when they put it together 2 years ago.
I would like to set the 1 barrel carb too if someone can talk me through it and add a few pics. All I know about it is it sucks gas seems to idle a little high. Thanks for any all help.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Points

Post by willowbilly3 »

Sucks gas and idles too high sounds like a choke not opening all the way. The auto choke is an issue on old trucks. All of the heat tube system needs to be intact and working, it draws hot air from the exhaust manifold to open the choke.
IIRC the points are .017, base timing around 8 but you may want to fiddle with it a little. If it seems ok now then just check it before you put the points in and make sure it is set back at the same place. You do know changing the the point gap changes the timing?
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

That makes sense. After getting the headers on a few months back, I never got around to getting one drilled and tapped to hook up the climatic choke.
I knew the gap changed the timing. My thought is, if the points are worn down, then the timing could be a little off. Correct ?
390F100

Post by 390F100 »

Cant you convert it to the electronic ignition, like the pertronix setup? I had points in my old 68 F100 w/360 before and it sucked now i've got another 68 but with a 390 and the pertronix setup. it's great and I haven't even driven it yet.
"There's no replacement for displacement"
1968 Ford F-100 2wd 390FE
1993 Toyota P/U 22RE
2001 Toyota Camry 2.2
2004 Toyota Solara 2.4
2007 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom
2007 Suzuki S40 650
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

That's something I've cosidered. I just haven't went and priced everything yet. I kind of like the points setup though.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Yes, the timing does change as the points setting decays. The petronix is great, I changed mine out about a year ago because I was having trouble with the points. You just can't get good quality ones anymore.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.