Broke bolt on exhaust manifold

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

ares360

Broke bolt on exhaust manifold

Post by ares360 »

well I have really done it now. I was attempting to change the gasket on the exhaust manifolds and broke off the head of the bolt. Any suggestions on how to fix this without taking it to a shop?
Kane
1971 Ford F250 4x2, no engine.....what am I going to do?

Re: Broke bolt on exhaust manifold

Post by 427 »

I would take the manifold lose and take a pair of vise-grips and put it near the head and try and break it loose. That way you should,t break the stud off. I have a similar problem on a 390. The manifolds was cracked so I put headers on it and now sevral years later the gasket is blown and the bolts are going to break when I take it loose. Then I,ll have to take the intake and heads off so they can be taken to machine shop. Also I havent used one but they make a stud remover I,ve seen at auto parts stores. That might work if theres room. Good luck. Brian
68 f100 427 r code 4spd toploader
69 f350 390 4spd hauler bed
72 Ford Bronco 302 3spd
95 Ford Lightning
38 John Deere G
Assorted old Honda ATC,s
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

It's a very common problem on the top bolts. There have been lots of discussions on different methods of dealing with the problem. Keith probably has a tech article on it somewhere.
I just blow them out with the torch and use 5/16 bolts with nuts on the back.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

like was already stated get the manifold off. then use vise grips and pb blaster. and then maybe some heat to the head and try not to heat up the stud that is sticking out. if it breaks off again then drill it out. to get a good hole through there use a center punch to get the drill started straight. if it then fails to drill out correctly you can take it to someone to drill it out. or as already stated put a nut and bolt through it.
ares360

Post by ares360 »

fordman wrote:like was already stated get the manifold off. then use vise grips and pb blaster. and then maybe some heat to the head and try not to heat up the stud that is sticking out. if it breaks off again then drill it out. to get a good hole through there use a center punch to get the drill started straight. if it then fails to drill out correctly you can take it to someone to drill it out. or as already stated put a nut and bolt through it.
this sounds the easiest. thanks for the input.
Kane

Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

I got an expensive fix. I bought a Milwaukee 90 degree 28V drill for my business and in preparation for a later removal I have centered drilled my top bolts making them easier to get out later, The center drill hole gives the swollen rusted bolt some where to collapse into so they will turn easier.

I have used one of those stud removers and yuck It is a cam that is mounted off center to grab the bolt. The socket drive is in the cam part so all the force is off center. It can slip and make the bolt harder to grab and it can bend the bolt if it is soft from the rusting process. I think the tool was designed for really hard studs like used on diesels.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
71 Service manuals Volumes 1,2,3 and 4 So ask away. :)
My Gallery
Spark test
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

what do you mean by center drill gives rust a place to go. i dont understand that. what i think you are saying is that you drill out the hole larger and put a smaller bolt in it. but that doesnt make sence.
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

When the bolt tries to turn it is locked in place by rust that squeezes the thread gap shut. All that pressure has a place to go if you drill through the bolt. When you turn the bolt it collapses into the hole a little bit to allow a gap to form between the bolt and the hole it is screwed into. This allows you to turn the bolt easier.

The rust removers and breakers are thin enough to pass through between the rust particles and make them a little slicker so they can slide past each other the bolt drill out method has another feature. If the bolt gets stuck you can just stick a large easy out through the hole and get it to turn.

I unfortunately know more about rust and corrosion than I care to remember. Every sailor does especially us Aviation types where we have way too many dissimilar metals in contact with each other.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
71 F250 with Shell Car 390 NP435 Dana 60 3.73s, PS, PB, 750 EC VS Holley Accel Points Eliminator.
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
stangconv

Post by stangconv »

What are the best header bolts to prevent this from happening?
Dragon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Dragon »

Most any the low profile hardened ones that the header makers use work fine.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku These are great.
Old Fords Rule
Was a Ford Service Tech
98 Volvo S70 2.4T Auto
My Gallery
Spark test
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

Dragon wrote:I got an expensive fix. I bought a Milwaukee 90 degree 28V drill for my business and in preparation for a later removal I have centered drilled my top bolts making them easier to get out later, The center drill hole gives the swollen rusted bolt some where to collapse into so they will turn easier.

I have used one of those stud removers and yuck It is a cam that is mounted off center to grab the bolt. The socket drive is in the cam part so all the force is off center. It can slip and make the bolt harder to grab and it can bend the bolt if it is soft from the rusting process. I think the tool was designed for really hard studs like used on diesels.
i bought one of those off center stud removers and was less than impressed too. i was eyeballing 90* drills, but my pocket wasn't quite deep enough. i sure wish i bought one though. i like your idea on center drilling.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

Dragon wrote:When the bolt tries to turn it is locked in place by rust that squeezes the thread gap shut. All that pressure has a place to go if you drill through the bolt. When you turn the bolt it collapses into the hole a little bit to allow a gap to form between the bolt and the hole it is screwed into. This allows you to turn the bolt easier.

The rust removers and breakers are thin enough to pass through between the rust particles and make them a little slicker so they can slide past each other the bolt drill out method has another feature. If the bolt gets stuck you can just stick a large easy out through the hole and get it to turn.

I unfortunately know more about rust and corrosion than I care to remember. Every sailor does especially us Aviation types where we have way too many dissimilar metals in contact with each other.
ok your saying drill the bolt out in a fancy way. usually when you get through the bolt the easy out is next. have you ever bro0ken off an easy out doing this. those arent fun drilling out.
ares360

Post by ares360 »

ok, another problem has came up! All 8 of the lower bolt have came off easy. the other 7 on top won't move without breaking. I have been spraying WD-40 on them for 2 days with no avail.

HELP!!!
Kane

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

wd40 is worthless for this kind of work. use pb blaster. or you can use a propane torch to heat the ear of the head around the bolt to help loosen it up while you try and turn it.
ares360

Post by ares360 »

I thought about using a torch but didn't want to catch my truck on fire. I used the WD-40 because the other bolts had rust on them.
Kane