H pipe Location?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Chaseman

H pipe Location?

Post by Chaseman »

I get really bad cracking when I lift off the gas. So I was thinking I'd throw in a H pipe to my duel exhaust. Only thing is I'm not really sure where to put the H pipe. To throw out some facts I have stock exhuast manifolds , 24" glass packs , 2 something small inch tubing dumping in a stock location. 4V 360.
Any reply is appreciated.

Thanks
Chase
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: H pipe Location?

Post by fordman »

i think the last recent thread about this said " when you start the truck the new pipes will turn blue at first. where the blueness stops that is where the h pipe goes". heres the topic i was thinking of. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... e+location
Chaseman

Post by Chaseman »

right but if the exhaust is all surface rust I can't really tell where it's blue :oops:
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

I dont think an H pipe will totally eliminate the "popping" but, About 6" behind (to the rear)of the tranny tailshaft but in front of the muffler/ glasspacks.

Always worked for me in the past! :thup:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

If you can get a good surface to paint, you can also paint it and where the paint burns off is whaere you want it if possible.

In reality, it will probably just end up where it is practical...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

First, a decel pop can be from glasspacks, but it can also be from a leak in the exhaust somewhere. That allows oxygen into the pipe during decel and burns any unburnt fuel

So, if you have exhaust leaks, fix that first.

Second, a good rule of thumb is somewhere around the bellhousing area. With headers, right behind the collectors, but with your manifolds, put it anywhere you can as far forward as you can.

I wont do anything if you have an exhaust leak though, if you have a leaky manifold, donut, or whatever, that has to be fixed first.

I will say though, if the popping is due to a leak, after you fix it, still put the H-pipe on. It cleans up the sound as does help low/mid range a bit.
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
Chaseman

Post by Chaseman »

Alright , cool thank you.