How can I get more tourque

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: How can I get more tourque

Post by Jake11 »

More info. What gears/tire size? If it's turning 1800rpm or better, it should pull ok.
FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by FordTruck »

Its got 3:55 gears and 15" wheels. I was thinking today would an x pipe do any good?
"Flyin High On Caffine And Copenhagen" R.I.P Chris LeDoux

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
72 Ford F100 on 79 4x4 SWB frame
77 Ford F250 "lowboy" 4x4
09 Harley Xl1200c
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

:yt:

We so often forget to check all the basics first. If you have a vacuum gauge on it you can tell a lot from that too. Healthy engines will have 17-22 inches with a steady needle. If the needle dips slowly it is probably carb or float level. If it dips fast or vibrates you probably have a valve problem. Overall low can be poor compression or slow timing. It's hard to tune one that's low.
Another thing I like to check is the slack in the timing chain. If you get the engine on top dead center, pop the distributor cap. I can use my hands but you may need to use a socket and breaker to put on the harmonic balancer. While watching the timing pointer, rock the engine back and forth just until you see the rotor move in both directions and note the number of degrees on the timing pointer. A new chain and gears will often have 2 degrees of slack. Most have 4 or so after a run in. A mid time engine may have 6-8 and anything over that you really can't tune.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.