am i biting off more than i can chew???

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

hampster

re: am i biting off more than i can chew???

Post by hampster »

well, i row 18 every day though ATL i don't think i will have much problem rowing 6 i think it would be a good mix between mpg and performance to get the t56 i know it is rather expensive but i figure if you going to do, do it right the first time. If I'm wrong and don't like it i can always sell it and put in something else..also just got a call from machine shop yesterday my block has finally been cleaned up and bored out.:)
my project is a f100 w/ a 460 my pride is a 379 w/a c15 kittycat
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

don't forget to include the price of a good shifter, flywheel, driveshaft, 1350 U-joints, and (especially if you're dumping the lutch with a big block) a SFI approved bell housing!!! also a dual friction clutch. all of these are a must with a big block if you don't want to buy parts twice. i have put many sticks behind big blocks. i used to work at a streetrod shop and went to a technical school in houston which had a hotrod program. most of your street worthy trannys are built for the masses(smallblocks). even a mild bigblock can easily generate more torque than a smallblock. my car during school was an '86 mustang with a 460, cobrajet heads, performer rpm cam/intake/carburator, and 225 shot of compucar nitrous. i ran it in front of my tremec TKO and went through a slew of driveline parts before i learned my lesson and went with top notch parts and never had another problem. i drove and raced this car religiously for two years after i was out of UTI. LONG LIVE THE WHITE STALLION AND FORGIVE ME FOR THOSE I ANNIALATED WHILE RIDING IT!!!! the things you regret getting rid of. oh, i guess a proof to strength, the tremec, the very same one, is in my cobra i have now! man i guess i'll keep that thing forever.
cannonball
hampster

Post by hampster »

thank you for that input. i have noticed finding all the parts to get this together hasnt been the easiest
my project is a f100 w/ a 460 my pride is a 379 w/a c15 kittycat
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I had a friend running a T-6 behind a 500 caddy in his Model A and it held up fine.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
TRMMULLET

Post by TRMMULLET »

personally i would try to mate an old rock crusher muncie. 6 gears might be too mutch with the tourqe curve of a big block. not to mention the actual acceleration time lost during shifting .5- 1 sec x 2 gears.