Help !

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

JHEBERT

Help !

Post by JHEBERT »

My 70 f100 is having some problems. When I first got it, all I had to do was just bump the ignition switch and it would start. It recently started giving me problems starting. Now to get it started I have to physically hold down the choke, and while my wife turns the key I give it gas from the accelerator linkage next to the carb. So after holding the choke down and giving it gas at the same time, it will start. Once started it runs fine in idle. Heres the real kicker: when I put it in drive or reverse, she dies. Then she wont start again. Repeat the same starting procedure and she dies under a load again. Any suggestions?
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Help !

Post by fitzwell »

which engine??

Just a shot in the dark, but what about the timing chain?
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
JHEBERT

Post by JHEBERT »

Oh yeah, sorry it's a 360 and automatic tranny. what should i look for on the timing chain?
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

If it will only start if you physically hold the choke shut, then for starters I'd say the choke is way out of adjustment. I think that's just one of your problems though. Give us some background. For example, did this just start all of a sudden, or has it been getting progressively worse? When was the last time you gave the truck a tune-up (including adjusting the points and timing, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.)? When was the last time the carb was rebuilt?
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

As sated before, little more info would be helpful...

A vacuum leak will also cause it to be hard starting like that...
Which is definitely a possibility because of having to block off the air flow through carb before it will start.
Have you noticed any sounds like it's sucking air?
IT could be coming a several places... mostly the intake, carb, or vacuum brake booster if you have PB's

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
Thunderfoot
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Thunderfoot »

kaptnkaos wrote:As sated before, little more info would be helpful...

A vacuum leak will also cause it to be hard starting like that...
Which is definitely a possibility because of having to block off the air flow through carb before it will start.
Have you noticed any sounds like it's sucking air?
IT could be coming a several places... mostly the intake, carb, or vacuum brake booster if you have PB's

KaptnKA 8) S
:yt: look for vacuum leaks, could be the vacuum advance on the distributor has a leak. Just had that on my dad Bronco... :2cents: Try blocking off the vacuum lines one at a time and see if it help. Also, check any vacuum caps that might have split open.
Shayne
I'm not "Brand Loyal" Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Toyota I have them all, one even cross mixed...
If it Looks good and Works good then it's ok by me. Everything has its issues from time to time...

69 SWB (project) & 69 Highboy (driver/project)
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa29 ... d%20truck/
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10399
JHEBERT

Post by JHEBERT »

I figured it out. I will relate this in case this happend to someone else. The kickdown rod from the transmission to the carb was bent. This resulted in the kickdown cabel pulling on the accelerator pump linkage halfway. So, every time I was starting it I was getting extra raw fuel down the carb without the butterfly opening in sync. This resulted in my plugs eventually fouling. I re adjusted the kickdown rod and installed new plugs and she starts and runs fine. Thank you to all for putting up with my idiocracy.
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

Wow! I never would have guessed that. I don't think anybody would have. Glad you figured it out! :thup:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger