1972 302 power steer belt rubbing lower hose?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 1972 302 power steer belt rubbing lower hose?

Post by peanutman »

Is it a knock or a tap. Could be not enough oiling. Cam bearings maybe, anything above that should be more of a tap than a knock. Fuel pump on mine went to knocking one time - changed out with new one. What's your oil presure. Just trying to give you options. Could even be bent rod in distributor.
Did you get it hot. If it quit on you why. I would start there. :2cents:
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Thats the thing the guage was in its normal place on the temp when it died. just started slugging off until it completley died. i did hear it sound like the pulleys had all fallen off.

Both belts where loose and the guagefor oil is screwey, its allways reads 0 or way bellow L when it is working right and has plenty of oil even with new sending unit and the guage checks out when the wire is grounded. And when its 1 or more qts low it reads Way past H.

It had lots of oil when it died. still does it was a qt low and i added one qt the other day and it still sounds like its running dry it sounds like a deisel when it idles.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
peanutman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by peanutman »

sounds like your oil pump quit
on you and due to belts being loose you got hot. I'd put in a new oil pump, check the pump rod and distributor, put you in a manual oil guage and see what happens. You gotta get a ford pretty hot before you ruin the engine. If it was a chevy you would have cracked a head. From my experience of my guages i run an aftermarket sunpro oil and temp guage. Can pick them up at az or napa for a reasonable price. Well worth the money. After all that you may still have to do a rebuild.

If your running a 302 you can get yours long blocked for around $875, or at least in dallas you can and it comes with a 36,000 mile warranty. Good luck. :thup: