88 302 Hipo bored 30 over?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

88 302 Hipo bored 30 over?

Post by rjewkes »

First is it worth anything if it runs, Second will it bolt into the 67-79 Small Block mounts? and will it bolt to the c4 in my truck.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 88 302 Hipo bored 30 over?

Post by 69rangerman »

I think it'll use the same mounts. It should also bolt up to the c4.

The biggest consideration is the harmonic balancer. I'm not sure when they changed the weight but I think the "newer" motors had a 50oz that matched the flywheel weight. Ours are usually 28. If it comes with the balancer and the flywheel you should be good, if it only comes with one then you'll have to buy the other to balance it correctly.

Flywheels are fairly inexpensive. Make sure you match the tooth count of the old one if you replace it.

As far as the motor itself goes .30 over is as much as is usually recommended for durability sake. If it runs you could do a quick vacuum guage check to see if the valve train works OK, and a compression check to see if the rings are sealing OK. Pull the valve covers and check for tar instead of oil, pull the pan and check for tar, copper colored bearings (bad), and grit, dirt, etc . If all that checks out and the price is right it's as good a gamble as you can make. Wouldn't hurt to pull the oil pump if you take the pan off and check the shaft to see if it's already on the way out.

Good luck!

:fr:
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!