Engine smoke

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

390F100

Engine smoke

Post by 390F100 »

Hey I finally got my 390 engine started inside of my truck and once warm it smokes only from the driver side and is a light bluish/white smoke. I pulled the #5 plug and looked down into the cyl and noticed there was an oily residue on the piston. It might have been there from a long time ago or just from sitting I'm not to sure but what could cause it and how do I get rid of it.

390f100
"There's no replacement for displacement"
1968 Ford F-100 2wd 390FE
1993 Toyota P/U 22RE
2001 Toyota Camry 2.2
2004 Toyota Solara 2.4
2007 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom
2007 Suzuki S40 650
theskytoucher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Engine smoke

Post by theskytoucher »

i would run the motor and get it up to normal temp and see if it burns off if it is still there, then dig into it deeper but that i just me!!!!
-Troy-

1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4
1976 Ford F-150 4x4

Quando Omni Flunkus Mortadi
When all else Fails Play Dead
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

More information would help.

Is this a new engine, old engine, been sitting? does it run O.K.?

Did this just start? What caused you to look at the number 5 cylinder? Does it smoke on decel or on a cold start? Any smell to the smoke?

Based on the information you gave my first guesses would be: Valve guides/seals and/or head gasket.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
390F100

Post by 390F100 »

Sorry for the lack of information...the engine had been sitting for quite awhile, my guess is between 2-3 years. when I got it I pulled everything off except for the heads and resealed everything and I did replace the valve seals. The inside of the engine was immaculate, no sludge or anything like that, it still had some assembly lube on the bottom of the oil pan, and the pistons and everything else inside the engine looked brand new or pretty close to it, still nice and shiny. I'm thinking that since it did sit maybe the rings need to work in again ( just me thinking) The smoke is only when it warms up and only on the driver side, that is why I pulled the # 5 plug. The motor fires right up and the throttle response is outstanding, It idles like a brand new engine, completely smooth, and when i rev it up it rocks the truck from side to side telling me it has plenty of power. I have no idea what is going on, I was thinking of putting something in the oil like a can of restore, what do you guys think??? I havent done anything to it yet, and I have not driven the truck yet because well the driveshaft is out of it and I just picked up a gas tank for it and it has NO brakes whatsoever. I hope that info helps, I know it would have been nice to have in the first post...thanks for your help.

390f100
"There's no replacement for displacement"
1968 Ford F-100 2wd 390FE
1993 Toyota P/U 22RE
2001 Toyota Camry 2.2
2004 Toyota Solara 2.4
2007 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom
2007 Suzuki S40 650
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I'm with Troy, once it's roadworthy I'd just drive it and see if it just needs to clean it's throat after sitting and being worked on. Just keep an eye on your gauges and fluids.

Stay away from that engine restore stuff, it's cr*p in a can.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

The oil ring might be stuck from sitting that long. A little ATF down the intake and let it set overnight works
sometimes to free them up. Pour/trickle! a little in while it's running. Shut it off and put it to sleep.
Jake
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Good tips so far.

I would also run it a bit, also if it still has assembly lube on it, the rings probably are not seated so 500 or so "break in" miles are probably in order. If I added anything to the oil it would be marvel mystery oil or ATF.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper