Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: ruined 390

Post by sideoilerfe »

:pop: :pop: :drive:
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

:pop: :pop: :drive:
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
H-DFord

Post by H-DFord »

Wow I need a 390 to replace my 360 with. Wish I lived closer I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. Congrats on your new engine. John
1968 Ford Ranger Lb
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

I got the old motor pulled out of the truck today before it stated to rain. Went to work Sunday night and didn't get home until 6:30 this morning, so after large large amounts of coffee, I got started on the truck. It came out smooth and easy, no problems. I'm sure glad I pulled the front clip this time, only had to come up about a foot or so instead of 4 or 5 feet to clear everything on the high boy! The clutch and pressure plate looked good so I'll rerun those. In the morning I'll run to the parts store and get a new throw out bearing and pilot bushing just to keep from having to wonder about those. Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow! :pray:
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

I got the motor in yesterday. It took all day and had to call in reinforcements but we finally got it. I couldn't get the clutch lined up, used an alignment tool and tried everything I could think of but just wouldn't go. Finally an uncle of mine stopped by and suggested we pull the towers for the motor mounts to get a straighter angle and it slid in like butter. (wish he would've showed up 3 or 4 hours earlier!) I forgot to take pictures but I'll try to get some before I put the front clip back on in a day or so.
rubiranch
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: ruined 390

Post by rubiranch »

Blue Cloud wrote:I got the engine today! :woohoo: :woohoo:

It's not a "new" motor, but a rebuild, but even a rebuilt long block for $400.00 is O.K. with me!
That's great!! I hope it runs like a million bucks for you. :thup: :thup:

:fr:
72 F-250 CS XLT 390 C-6 4.10 40k miles
You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
I don't carry because I have to, I carry because I get to.
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=514
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

Today I finished hooking up the motor and put the front clip back on. Everything went pretty smooth. When I tried to start it I had no spark at the coil wire, so then I rechecked the point gap. It was good but still no spark at the points when I turned it over. But when I touched the points with the screw driver there was a spark. Then I turned It over with the starter and still no spark, but every time I touch the points with a screw driver there is a spark from the screw driver to the points. Now I'm really confused. Any one ever heard of this? It doesn't make any sense to me but electricity isn't my strong point.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Possible grounded rotor?
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

How would you tell?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

pull the cap off and with the key on, spin the engine over with the end of the coil wire from the cap-side, about a 1/4 inch from the top of the rotor. If it sparks, bad rotor.
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

I'll try it.
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Blue Cloud »

I got the engine started up today! :D After talking to a couple of old mechanic buddies last night, I went out and bought new points, condenser, rotor, and coil. Installed them and she fired right up. I don't know where the spark problem was, but the new parts fixed it. I let it run for 15 or 20 mins and come up to temperature, made sure it didn't over heat and had no leaks, then changed the oil and filter. After that I went for a little spin that turned into a 60 mile drive, making sure not to let it lug down or over rev. It ran good, had 60 to 80 lbs of oil pressure, and plenty of power. It sure feels different with a 2 barrel instead of a 4, but seemed to get alot better mileage than the old motor. I still need to set the timing and idle later, (I just had both set by ear), but it seemed fairly close. Now for a shower and a couple of "cool ones"!
td
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by td »

BlueCloud,

Great to hear its running good for you, ive been following your thread here and wishing the best for ya, so its good to hear you making some progress!!

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

Alright Blue Cloud thats great! Pretty good turn around time too!
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
Blue Cloud
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: ruined 390

Post by Blue Cloud »

Just alittle update on the new engine. I got about 250 or 275 miles on it, so far no major problems. I rebuilt the 2 barrel carb this morning. I had put a kit in it when I originally bought the truck a few years ago, but it had sat in the shed for a couple of years. I thought it would be OK but it was really cruddy inside and wasn't idling right. Now it idles smooth and accelerates faster. Must be time for alittle road trip! :D