Muffler Choice...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

FRANKdaTANK

Muffler Choice...

Post by FRANKdaTANK »

Hey guys,

I have a '67 Shortbed with a 390 engine. I want to make my exhaust louder, but not sure what mufflers I should go with...

I'm not sure what mufflers are on the truck now, but it has a decent idle sound. But when I get on it, it sounds too quiet. I hear the engine reving louder than the exhaust. I think they might be Turbo mufflers, but not positive because there is no name on them.
The headers have been replaced already and the dual exhaust exits out the rear corners near the ends of the bumper, with 4" tips.

I'm thinking of going with Cherry Bomb Glassbacks, but not sure how good it will sound....or if it will be TOO loud. I've also thought about Flowmaster with the new Outlaw Series or the 40-Series.

Any thoughts on these choices?? ...or any suggestions of other types??

Thanks,
Frank
1967 F100 Shortbed - 390 FE w/ C6 trans. -- SOLD

1995 Bronco - 6" lift w/ 35" BFGs
1998 SVT Contour #3582 (Daily Driver)
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Muffler Choice...

Post by BiggDogg »

Hey FRANKdaTANK, Check out this post here:
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31681

It has some info and a few videos with exhaust notes from various mufflers. Good luck and keep us updated! :thup:

-BiggDogg
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Muffler Choice...

Post by fomocoguy »

Glass packs will have that loud "wooooonng gaaaaahhh" sound if that's what you're looking for! :lol: I had some Hooker Aero Chambers on my 65 and LOVED them. They were a little more subdued than a two chamber flowmaster, with enough sound to really hear it but no annoying resonance or backfiring/ popping. :2cents:
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Magnaflow or DynoMax are the best performance mufflers.
FRANKdaTANK

Post by FRANKdaTANK »

Yeah thanks for the input guys. I will check out the sound clips when I'm not on my work computer.
It might be a lil while before I consider new mufflers, but just wanted to get thoughts together early... but I will definitely keep everyone updated.
BTW...I meant Flowmaster Super 44s...I don't know why I called them Outlaw series...

I should be getting my rims on this weekend....Finally...20" Dodge Steelies.... :D 8)
The guys I talked to in the Wheel section probably thought I forgot about them.... :hmm:

Frank
1967 F100 Shortbed - 390 FE w/ C6 trans. -- SOLD

1995 Bronco - 6" lift w/ 35" BFGs
1998 SVT Contour #3582 (Daily Driver)
Johnm

Post by Johnm »

i was checking out the super 44 and just never got around to buying them. i have headers with 22" glasspacks on my 360 and i really like the sound, but i agree...its not loud and agressive enough, i want to strike fear in the hearts of prius drivers. let me know how the 44s sound!
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Glass packs still sound cool. Nice and loud when you get on it! People and small animals run for cover! 8)
The wife will never want to drive your truck again too, a bonus,
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Stainless MagnaFlows sound awesome in my experience. They don't have that loud "pop" of a glasspack, but they sound aggressive like a racecar! :thup:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400