302 ignition problems... i think

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mitchmc_13

302 ignition problems... i think

Post by mitchmc_13 »

Hey, i recently dropped in a 302 engine out of a 1982 mercury capri into my ford truck. It originally had a 302 which i blew up haha.. so i dropped in the newer 302. anyway... i got everything working and started it up... it ran for awhile and then i shut it off for a few mins before i took it for a test drive. I went out and tried to start it again and the battery was almost dead and it wouldnt start. It would turn over slowley, but not start. The one difference that i can think of from the old engine to the new one is the ignitiion. The new one is an electronic ignition, while the old one was not. I did however use the same alternator off of the old engine. i got it running finally and got it to the end of my block and turned the lights on because it was starting to get dark and it died. So i started it back up (the battery was again almost dead) and as soon as i turned my signal light on it died again. so i started it back up (barely) and drove it home, the whole way it was struggling to stay running and as soon as i got close to my driveway it died again without any lights or signal lights on. So my question is, is there a difference in alternators from electronic ign. to non electornic? because it seems to me that its not charging the battery sufficiently. I am also using a battery out of my camper temporarily, do you think that it cant sufficiently power the electronic ign.?any info is appreciated!!
SteveC
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: 302 ignition problems... i think

Post by SteveC »

you might want to make sure that you have all your connections right cuase it sounds like you arent charging at all
I don't really care about brands Chevy Ford Dodge ...as long as it doesn't sound like two old dudes farting in a coffee can.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/imabaka70/ Projects listed on the left side

WOOOT!! i passed my mechanics classes. Now working as a mechanic and waiting to go for my ASE certifications.

1967 f-100 4x4
1969/72 f100 351w EFI m5r2 5 speed
1988 ford f150 xlt lariat
1961 VW Beetle (wifes car)
bvergeer

re: 302 ignition problems... i think

Post by bvergeer »

Find a multimeter and test the voltage at the battery and the alternator. If it is working properly you should have something north of 13.5 volts with the engine running.

Check your grounds, block to the chassis and battery to block.

HTH
Bob
--
67/70 F250 Highboy
390, 4-speed