Tune up

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

slamons

Tune up

Post by slamons »

Just trying to get the 360 running smooth, New intake and 4bbl. Have carb tuned fair, but when placing truck in gear it seams like a miss in the engine untill about 1800 to 200 rpm, Could this be a dist, problem, and if so would a petronix ingnition solve the dist. advance???
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Tune up

Post by fomocoguy »

slamons wrote:Just trying to get the 360 running smooth, New intake and 4bbl. Have carb tuned fair, but when placing truck in gear it seams like a miss in the engine untill about 1800 to 200 rpm, Could this be a dist, problem, and if so would a petronix ingnition solve the dist. advance???
Did it act this way with the 2 barrel on it? What brand and size carb did you install on it? Almost sounds as if it may be runnin rich.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
slamons

re: Tune up

Post by slamons »

This truck was running great when I tore it down, This was down to the frame, the engine stayed together, just cleaned and painted, Now I can not get it to run as smooth as it was, To get a smooth idle I have the Holley tuned as rich as it can be. Idles nice but after I put it in gear, or start to move it acts as if it has a miss until higher RPM's...
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

Do you have the floats set correctly? A Holley will run like dog poo if you don't have the floats set just right. With the truck setting on level ground, after it's been running, unscrew the brass sight plug on the side of the bowl. The fuel level should be right at the edge of that hole. If it spills out the hole, then the float level is too high. If you pull the plug and nothing comes out, give the truck a slight push from the side to rock it a bit and see if anything comes out. If not, the level it too low.

To adjust the float level you just loosen the brass screw on top of the bowl and turn the nut to adjust. Hope this helps!

Just remember to suspect the things you changed first. The only part that's not as it was is the first part you should look at. If it's a used carb I would consider a rebuild kit; they are only about 20 bucks.
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger