Duraspark setup.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Darrman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Duraspark setup.

Post by Darrman »

Ok, the time has come to get all the wiring back in order, finally. My truck has been converted to duraspark, but the wires that were added are in sad shape, and will have to be replaced. Painless offers a new wiring harness to fix this problem, but its a 130 bucks.
So my question is, is it worth the money to get the duraspark fixed up, or go get a original distributor and buy a Pertronix II kit for it? Also how do you know if it is a Duraspark I or II, as the wiring kit is for a II?
Thanks for any help!
j41385
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Duraspark setup.

Post by j41385 »

Both DURASPARK I and DURASPARK II use a magnetic pickup that incorporates the "Hall-Effect" principle to trigger a spark, an external control box, and a coil. In addition to the wider cap, DURASPARK II uses an improved external control box over the control box offered with DURASPARK I.
1968 F100 Took the running 390 out, and installed a Built 300 with AOD.
Engine Video... http://youtube.com/watch?v=2xgYd2u79NU

Image Image
Darrman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Darrman »

Thanks for the help, I picked up a used harness this weekend and was able to get it cleaned up and installed. I also bought a correct coil and module and have all that installed. The only thing holding me up now is that while I know where to hook up the power (red) wire for the module, I am not sure about the white wire. From the looks of things it should be spliced into the ignition switch, but not sure which one. I suppodely dont need the white wire, but it helps start the truck faster by retarding the spark, from what I have been reading.
By the way I guess I have a Duraspark I as I have the smaller, but deeper cap.
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

Cap size has no bearing on Duraspark I or II. The difference is the control moduls. The distributors are actually interchangeable between a I and a II. Hawkrod

Here is the best thing on the web for Duraspark:

http://www.maverickcomet.com/Repair/Rep ... aSpark.pdf
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

This may help:

http://bcbroncos.com/Duraspark.pdf

I connected the white wire to the 'S' terminal of the starter solenoid, but I have also not wired it up and it seemed to work fine both ways.

good luck!

Eric
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I have seen guys just twist the red and white together. If your switch allows the red to get power during cranking you can probably leave the white unhooked and never know the difference. On my 72 I had to use the I terminal of the solenoid to run full 12 volts to the coild for starting. Cold starts are really hard with the resistance voltage.
FWIW, on the 80s pickups that whit wire is the only one getting juice during cranking mode. I have had failures to start be a module with just the white wire out.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: re: Duraspark setup.

Post by fitzwell »

Hawkrod wrote:Cap size has no bearing on Duraspark I or II. The difference is the control moduls. The distributors are actually interchangeable between a I and a II. Hawkrod

Cap size ( and style) DOES have a difference. The larger cap, with vent, is designed to handle a higher voltage signal. Run a hot coil in a DII setup with the small cap, spark scatter & high speed miss will sometimes appear.
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
montana_hiboy

Post by montana_hiboy »

Darrman wrote: I suppodely dont need the white wire, but it helps start the truck faster by retarding the spark, from what I have been reading.
By the way I guess I have a Duraspark I as I have the smaller, but deeper cap.
You're correct the white wire isn't absolutely necessary, as you stated it retards the timing during start up which in turn allows you to run more initial advance, so i'd connect it were i you.
Jim

'75 Ford Highboy 390 4spd
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

fitzwell wrote:
Hawkrod wrote:Cap size has no bearing on Duraspark I or II. The difference is the control moduls. The distributors are actually interchangeable between a I and a II. Hawkrod

Cap size ( and style) DOES have a difference. The larger cap, with vent, is designed to handle a higher voltage signal. Run a hot coil in a DII setup with the small cap, spark scatter & high speed miss will sometimes appear.
What I think he meant was the cap size doesn't dictate Durospark I or II.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

sideoilerfe wrote:
fitzwell wrote:

You are correct, I was not refering to the cap size in relation to ignition function, I was refering to it as a way to identify Duraspark I versus Duraspark II. The distributors are based on the standard Ford distributor and so you can use a small cap or the large one (or you can put the large one on your points distributor if you like the look!). Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
fitzwell
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fitzwell »

Hawkrod wrote:
sideoilerfe wrote:
fitzwell wrote: Cap size ( and style) DOES have a difference. The larger cap, with vent, is designed to handle a higher voltage signal. Run a hot coil in a DII setup with the small cap, spark scatter & high speed miss will sometimes appear.
You are correct, I was not refering to the cap size in relation to ignition function, I was refering to it as a way to identify Duraspark I versus Duraspark II. The distributors are based on the standard Ford distributor and so you can use a small cap or the large one (or you can put the large one on your points distributor if you like the look!). Hawkrod
ok.....i'll shut up now. :lol:
As a metter of fact, i AM trying to keep up with the Jones'
Driving like Parnelli, Drinkin' like George
-------------------------------------------------------
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

:D :thup: probably one of the better threads regarding this topic i have seen in a long time--lot's of good info :thup:
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
AK F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by AK F100 »

I agree. A lot of good info. I have a standard Mallory Unilite distributor and was not sure what else I wanted to run with it.

On a side note.... You guys did a great job at keeping this thread on the topic - Congrats.
GPBFD Pyro Maniac
Daily Driver: 1974 F100 4x4 (ride'n on 8-Luggers) Build in progress
1997 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4, 7.3L Diesel SOLD
Pile-O-Parts: 1968 F100 - 2WD Shorty SOLD
Looking for a new project 57-60 Ford Truck
Darrman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Darrman »

Ok, I am having a problem now. I am not getting full power when I have the module hooked up.
To be more specific, if I leave the red power wire unplugged, I will get 12.48 volts the the dizzy, the coil etc. If I plug the module power wire in, I will get 12.48 volts at the plug, but will get 7.1 volts at the dizzy, coil etc.
I replaced the brand new module with another brand new module, didnt change anything. I have checked all my wiring, no shorts.
Anybody have a clue what the problem could be?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

You can also run an MSD box on the duraspark dist.
Wiring diagrams are available in pdf format on the MSD website under the "support" tab.