How can I tell a hotter spark plug from a regular one?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

How can I tell a hotter spark plug from a regular one?

Post by mrtleavitt »

Cylinder #4 on my 390 is the only plug that seems to be wet when I checked it today. It has a fairly steady miss from that cylinder at idle, but isn't very noticeable when driving. I haven't diagnosed it too much other than new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I figure the problem is either a piston ring or perhaps a valve. Anyways, I don't want to tear my engine down but I figure if I ran a hotter plug it may help a little bit. The motorcraft spark plug part # is sp-420. What would be a hotter plug for this (perferably a motorcraft)?
MIL1ION

Post by MIL1ION »

I forget the formula but .

IIRC, the shorter porcelin plug is hotter plug

a longer porcelin plug is cooler plug
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: How can I tell a hotter spark plug from a regular one?

Post by binder56jd »

this article has 2 strikes against it 1 being mopar 2 being bosch

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tech ... index.html

the info seems good

another

http://www.summitracing.com/tech/how2/s ... k_plug.htm

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
jcwillis

Re: How can I tell a hotter spark plug from a regular one?

Post by jcwillis »

The older Motorcraft/Autolite number system had BF-22, 32, 42, 52, with 22 being cold (longest insulator). I do not know the new number system but it looks like you are using a 42 (a guess because the same numbers are within 420).
I would GUESS sp-520, going by the old number system and applying it to the new number system. However, when you go to pick up the plug, ask the parts counter man and they will steer you in the right direction.
Hope that helps.
Jim
mrtleavitt wrote:Cylinder #4 on my 390 is the only plug that seems to be wet when I checked it today. It has a fairly steady miss from that cylinder at idle, but isn't very noticeable when driving. I haven't diagnosed it too much other than new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I figure the problem is either a piston ring or perhaps a valve. Anyways, I don't want to tear my engine down but I figure if I ran a hotter plug it may help a little bit. The motorcraft spark plug part # is sp-420. What would be a hotter plug for this (perferably a motorcraft)?
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: How can I tell a hotter spark plug from a regular one?

Post by mrtleavitt »

Thanks everyone, sounds like you're on the right track jcwillis. I'll go for the 520!