having problems with tranny swap OT

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

flatblack

having problems with tranny swap OT

Post by flatblack »

Im swapping a transmission cus i blew up the original aod behind a 302 EFI, i found a parts truck with a AOD behind a 351 EFI, thinking that this would be a bolt together swap, i just stuck the transmission in and bolted it up to the 302, now after everything is bolted up except for the starter and torque converter we run into problems. when we were trying to put the nuts on the flywheel to torque converter we cant turn the engine over to save ourselves, its like everything is stuck and the engine is ceized. now i know thats not the case. im starting to wonder if i shouldve used the old torque converter that was originally used on the 302, is there a difference in sizes?? from 351 to 302? what about the flywheel?? im hoping its something else because it was a pita to swap trans to begin with i really dont want to take it all apart again.
please help
thanks
Nitrous is like a hot girl with std's... you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: having problems with tranny swap OT

Post by Hawkrod »

Is The torque convertor seated? You should be able to move the torque convertor back and forth in the slop of the bolt holes (You do have the convertor studs sticking through the flywheel right?). Note that some flywheels only have one hole for the convertor drain plug so it has to be lined up that way too. The 351 trans and convertor should work with the 302 flywheel if it is the correct diameter (there are two sizes I think, sorry I did not actually check). Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

well i tore it all apart to see what was going on, and to begin with i was wondering why it was being so stubborn to hook up in the first place. the torque converter is for surely wider from the 351 than the 302, a noticible difference so tomorrow when i get daylight again im hoping tha i can just throw the 302 torque converter in the aod that came with the 302 and call it a day. i just pray it runs :lol: oh well learn from mistakes i guess i shouldve double checked everything to begin with
Nitrous is like a hot girl with std's... you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

sonuva.... update :x i put the 302 torque converter in hooked it up got it all ready to drive, started it up, put it in reverse... nothin, d, nothin, od, nothin, 1 nothin... i called the guy that sold me the parts truck he said it ran just fine he even drove it to where he parked it. im wondering if i put the coolant lines in the wrong holes but that wouldnt cause it to not drive would it?? this is probably maybe my 3rd tranny swap and this one is by far the biggest nightmare, someone please help.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

You sure the converter fully engaged the pump?

Also check your level, perhaps the converter took all the extra fluid and you are simply low.

Also check to make sure the TV line is hooked up properly.

Just some things off the top of my head.
68swb

Post by 68swb »

i bet that when you bolted the trans up the 1st time with the 351 torque converter that it broke the pump, i did this before by not having the torque converter stabed all the way onto the pump. If you pull the pump out of the trans, there is a geroter like pump that if it is cracked or broken it wont pump any fuild. hope this helps, it sounds like your problem to me.
"I got this"

68 swb 429ci 3spd
69 lwb f250 360 4spd
75 VW superbeetle
79 F250 4X4 supercab 400 4spd
07 Fusion
08 Focus 35mpg
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

that sounds like the problem, im not getting any fluid anywhere, its all sitting at the bottom all the time. no matter what gear, i disconnected the cooler lines at the rad and no fluid was going threw that way either. how do i fix it or can it be fixed by a guy that doesnt have a clue about trannys,
ive rebuild engines and stuff but usually trannys i stay away from.
68swb

Post by 68swb »

well of course the trans has to come out again, i know you dont want to hear that but..., it can be fixed, and if you have the stuff to pull the pump (not sure if it takes a slide hammer or if there is a puller for it, havent done one on an aod yet) it will be pretty easy. maybe someone who has worked on an aod will chime in,
"I got this"

68 swb 429ci 3spd
69 lwb f250 360 4spd
75 VW superbeetle
07 Fusion
08 Focus 35mpg
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

is the pump that big cast iron thing right behind the torque converter that slides out after taking out a bunch of bolts? if so i already pulled the one off the old transmission to see if that was it.
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

man i wish my camera was working
heres a pic of the whole shebang

is it 5,6,7,8,9 on this pic?

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... expaod.gif
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

#7 is the gear the torque converter drives. There should be 2 teeth on the inside diameter of #7. These teeth can be broken off. You should be able to see them with the trans on the beanch and the torque converter out.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

thanks wes, i pulled the 5,6,7,8,9 as one whole assembly out of the old transmission and i know it worked, the transmission worked fine actually it just didnt go into overdrive and leaked everywhere, so im hoping i can take that whole assembly out of the old one and put it in the new one.
thanks guys, you really helped me out a lot, its funny that this is better for advice on everything, being that it is a forum for our bumps. i tried other forums and it seems like a lot of kids that dont really have experience in these things. :fr: :thup:
68swb

Post by 68swb »

Thats good that we all can help, 7 and 8 are the gerotor pump i was talking about, on the one i broke, 7 was cracked and didnt make any pressure.
"I got this"

68 swb 429ci 3spd
69 lwb f250 360 4spd
75 VW superbeetle
07 Fusion
08 Focus 35mpg
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

update, got it all in and filled and yada yada today, now it only drives in first.... im about ready to give. i tried adjusting the tv cable a bunch of different ways and it helps a little but it still doesnt shift. does anyone know whats causing this?
flatblack

Post by flatblack »

please tell me i dont have to pull it again... :pray: