C6 Tran cooler (radiator?)

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

bwc302

C6 Tran cooler (radiator?)

Post by bwc302 »

On the early trucks equipped with a C6, was the trans cooler built into the radiator or was it a separate unit?

Thanks,

Bobby
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: C6 Tran cooler (radiator?)

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I believe the cooler lines went into the radiator. I've gone with larger remote aftermarket radiators on my cars. I was never too crazy about those in-radiator cooler lines.
DuckRyder

Re: C6 Tran cooler (radiator?)

Post by DuckRyder »

bwc302 wrote:On the early trucks equipped with a C6, was the trans cooler built into the radiator or was it a separate unit?
The early MX had a kind of Funky heat exchanger that circulated coolant around the transfluid but wasn't in the radiator.

Never seen one of our trucks with a Factory external Air to fluid cooler.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I agree....AFAIK all C6 trannies used the radiator's built-in cooler, though you could also get an auxiliary cooler which was used in conjunction with the radiator cooler.

The '71 Camper Special I parted out had a factory auxiliary cooler, but I can't find a picture of it here on the computer. Next time I'm at the shop I'll be sure to get one. It's about 10" square.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

So which do you think is better? I am curious because with the heat down here and that 460, I know my tranny gets a workout.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Thanks alot Keith. I will start looking for one.
fordfanatic

Post by fordfanatic »

I recommend running the biggest unit you can afford, and don't use the radiator at all. If you still want to run through the radiator, run to it first, and then to aux cooler ad back to trans. I just don't see the point of running hot fluid next to hot coolant as being beneficial, that's why I eliminated mine from the radiator. It cools alot faster running in it's own stand alone cooler.
Chris
Chris
If it's broke, Fix it! If it can't be fixed, explain to your wife that you need it anyway!:D :fr:
----------------------------------
1971 F100 Ranger parts truck
1969 F100 Ranger parts truck
19?? Combo project (from above)
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

It does seem kind of silly at first to run hot coolant through a hot radiator, but understand that the tranny fluid is around 100 degrees hotter than the radiator, so running it through the radiator will cool it considerably.
In hot climates I would run it through the radiator first, then run it through the aftermarket cooler.
In cooler climates, such as the northern US or Canada, I would run it through the aftermarket cooler first, then through the radiator. The reason being that if your ran it radiator first, then aftermarket cooler, you would be running very cold fluid through your tranny in the winter. And that's not real good for your tranny.
Definetly get an aftermarket cooler on there, though.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
fordfanatic

Post by fordfanatic »

I'm not sure I understand your theory Fly, I've never heard of cold fluid hurting a tranny, quite the contrary heat kills transmissions, not ice-cold fluid. I'm not here to argue differences, just not comprehending you logic.
Chris
If it's broke, Fix it! If it can't be fixed, explain to your wife that you need it anyway!:D :fr:
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

flyboy's right, transmissions need to run within a certain temperature range just like an engine, too hot and they burn up, too cold and they don't shift right and have much lower efficiency from pumping losses.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
fordfanatic

Post by fordfanatic »

Interesting Barry, I've never heard of it good to know. I know I don't have that problem dow here, it barely gets below freezing two days a year.
Chris