rear end tag numbers

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

68ford

rear end tag numbers

Post by 68ford »

I have the numbers from the tag on my rear end. I think from the vin numbers it is a 3.70 Ford rear end. I wanted to double check if anyone knew the code for the rear end tag numbers. They are as follows:

WDM-U
3 70 8CD 302

Also my rear end was locking up during sharp slow turns. I put in 80W90 gear oil and some of the limited slip additive. The additive seems to be loosening up the gears a little. Is this common if there is no additive in there? I may try to add some more if it doesn't get any better.
"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
Henry Ford
Nefarious67

re: rear end tag numbers

Post by Nefarious67 »

3 70 is indeed 3:70 gear ratio non locking. If it were a locking differential it would have been 3L70. WDM-U I believe is the plant it was made at, not sure though its been to long since ive read about it. As for locking up, I dunno if its wise to used locking additive in a non locking rear end, someone else will have to answer that one. Something is probably wrong with the spider gears in side the diff to cause it to lock up.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Yep, 3.70 conventional, 8 3/4" ring gear, manufactured in the 4th week of March 1968. WDM-U is the model code, 302 is the plant code.

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about Ford rearends:
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
68ford

Post by 68ford »

that is an informative website. i was told by a tranmission guy that the limited slip additive was for rear ends that were not locking diff's. i hope that was correct. it seems to be slipping more now.

at first i thought it was a locking diff the way it grabbed. i think maybe the oprevious owners just put gear oil in without the additive.
"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
Henry Ford
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

The additive is for rearends that have clutched locking diffs. Like PowerLocs and Traclocs. Its called a friction modifier. You do not need it for an open rearend. It wouldn't help anyways.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics