FLEXPLATE

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

RTTUCK21

FLEXPLATE

Post by RTTUCK21 »

Putting a 302 out of a car in a truck, The car is a 81 grand marquis, with an AOD trans, I'm using a C-6, will I need to change the flywheel?
Is the flywheel for a C-6 the same as one for a AOD?
If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all!!!!
bwc302

re: FLEXPLATE

Post by bwc302 »

The flywheel should be different (can the teeth on both). In addition, the housing should have a different bolt pattern and I believe the overall length as well. I believe there are aftermarket adapters that you can use to put them together, but the driveshaft most likely will need to be changed/modified.
RTTUCK21

Post by RTTUCK21 »

The bell housing is the same, the C-6 trans is still in the truck, the truck had a 351w in it, the engine I am putting in the truck is from a 81 mercury grand marquis, the car had the aod in it, i,m trying to see if I need a different flywheel for my 302 to use with the C-6.
Are AOD flywheels interchangeable with C6's?
bwc302

Post by bwc302 »

The flywheel and flexplate from the 351 should be the same as that on the 302. Take the one off the 351 and use it with your C6 and you should be good to go.
RTTUCK21

Post by RTTUCK21 »

I no longer have the 351w, I think the weights are different on the 351 and the 302, still wondering if the AOD and C-6 use the same flywheel.
bwc302

Post by bwc302 »

The weights are balanced through the harmonic balancer.

If the flywheel and flexplate you have came from the 351W/C6 combination and you are putting in a 302 they should work for you.
bwc302

Post by bwc302 »

I have not done the swap you describe and would suggest calling a trans swap to see if the AOD flywheel is the same as the C6. Balance should be the same it will come down to teeth count on the 2 flywheels (they should be the same, but would check to make sure).

Good luck..
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

The balance could be different. I got one year off on a 302 flexplate (somewhere around 82-83) and it shook like a dog crapping razor blades.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

I would keep the flywheel with the motor.

From what I have seen and done the tranny doesn't really much care in this case but the flywheel has to match the engine.

Willowbilly, If I remember right ford changed the balancing weight of the 302 about 83 and went from a 28 oz balance to a 50 oz balance. The same weight as a 351w flywheel.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: FLEXPLATE

Post by willowbilly3 »

spartman wrote:I would keep the flywheel with the motor.

From what I have seen and done the tranny doesn't really much care in this case but the flywheel has to match the engine.

Willowbilly, If I remember right ford changed the balancing weight of the 302 about 83 and went from a 28 oz balance to a 50 oz balance. The same weight as a 351w flywheel.
Yeah, I didn't know it at the time. Another one of those Ford School of Hard Knocks lessons.
My Bronco needed a rear main seal. I go to the oarts store and they sell me a one piece so I pull the transfercase and trannt only to find it isn't a one piece (partsman forgot to read the footnote, midyear change) But while I was in there, well there was a new flexplate a customer never came in after, only one year off and mine had a rough spot, why not. So I put the flexplate in and then have to pull the pan to do the 2 piece seal. I get all done and she shakes, but I have a buyer waiting so now I get to pull the tranny back out again and change the thing back. No wonder some people hate Fords.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.