driveshaft question

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

68ford

driveshaft question

Post by 68ford »

the seal and gasket were leaking on my truck. i just bought the truck and do not have time right now to fix it and wanted to be driving it when i had the chance, so i took it to a mechanic. upon inspection he said the driveshaft was too long and putting stress on the seal and possibly gasket and rear end. he measured it at 60.5" and said it should be more like 58.5".

The engine is not stock, it's a 302. I am pretty sure the rear end is not standard also, someone told me its a pumpkin rear end? and the rear wheels are always locked up, but thats another question.

I am wondering if cutting two inches out of a driveshaft (single piece) makes it any less durable or if trying to find an intact driveshaft is better. the mechanic and I called several yards locally but could not find anything around here. he suggested we cut it and be done with it.
"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
Henry Ford
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: driveshaft question

Post by Heavenlyfire »

if you do cut it, make sure you get it re balanced. I had a friend do that and after about 2 weeks of vibrations he looked under and it had torn up the rear of the tranny. He did not get his balanced. Other than that, good luck
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Getting a driveshaft shortened is very simple and inexpensive, so if it needs it, I wouldn't hesitate at doing that at all....but as mentioned above, be absolutely certain you get it re-balanced.

I think I'd want to verify for myself that the driveshaft was too long. With the truck down on the ground, disconnect the driveshaft at the rearend, and then gently push it as far as it'll go into the transmission, then pull it back one inch, and see what the relationship is between the U-joint and the rearend's yoke. If it won't fit (that is, you'd have to push it back into the transmission to connect it again) then it's definitely too long.

It's possible a previous owner had it shortened but just not enough. You didn't say what kind of transmission you had, but a driveshaft that's too long will 'bottom out' during normal suspension travel and destroy the pump. I'm not sure what the consequences would be with a manual trans.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68ford

Post by 68ford »

it is a manual transmission, a three speed. well i spoke to the mechanis and they are going to have it re-balanced. that much I thought of to ask about.

thanks for the reply's. i am new to most things but thats why I bought the Ford, something that has nostalgia value and easy to work on. as my father says, "No FRED's"!!
"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
Henry Ford