Chrome pitting - can it be fixed?

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Chrome pitting - can it be fixed?

Post by FORDification »

I was sitting here tonight surfing Ebay for cool truck parts, and there was an auction for a chrome cargo light, which the seller mentioned has some pitting. This led me to think about some of the chrome trim going back on my truck which has some semi-minor pitting....mainly the hood emblems, cargo light housing and body insignias.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has taken a Dremel tool to their pitted pieces and was able to clean them up enough to be presentable. I know, I should just give it a try, but I just thought I'd start a thread pertaining to this, since I know virtually everyone out there has the same problem. If you were doing a full restoration, you'd obviously spring for NOS or repops, but many of us fixing up daily drivers (or weekend cruisers) either can't afford or can't justify the expense, so I was just wondering how feasible it would be to attempt to gently grind down the pits so they weren't as obvious. Once the pits ARE ground down, do the damaged areas need to be sealed somehow, and if so, with what?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Chrome pitting - can it be fixed?

Post by oldschoolrods »

Me and my dad did this expierement with some rubbing compound and a dremel tool on some "Custom" trim pieces I pulled from the boneyard. If the pitting is very light it will take it out and clean it up nicely but it didn't seem to work real good for the heavier stuff. If i remember Ill try and post a pic.
1969 Ford F250 Custom Cab 360/C6 - currently under de-construction
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Chrome pitting - can it be fixed?

Post by rjewkes »

i know steel wool like you might use in the [censored] on your iron skillet works wonders just keep it wet or you'll supper heat what chrome is there.

I know this method has removed surface rust from the lower body chrome on my '72 ranger xlt and they look better than they did.

Only othewr way i have seen is to do like many do once it is pitted they use a good filler putty and then smooth it out and paint it to match body or go black with it. I don't know how well this will work on the hood emblems.
i suppose after you remove the pitting somewhat you could hit it with clear to make it shine and protect it could that be a course of viable action?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com