Rear bumper finish

Moderator: FORDification

greenbank

Rear bumper finish

Post by greenbank »

What was the original finish on the step bumpers? Paint, some sort of plating, or...? I was thinking silver Hammerite or similar "tough" paint would be pretty close to the original look and pretty durable, too.
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
cjs_72f250

re: Rear bumper finish

Post by cjs_72f250 »

hey there,

great question; i'd love to know the answer too. i just bought a '72 f250 camper special 'explorer' a few days ago. the previous owner was a carpenter and he painted over the original "Grabber Blue" color and painted the bumper. terrible off-white house paint.

any ideas for scrubbing that off and getting back to the original paint and restoring the bumper?
'72 F250 Explorer Camper Special
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

AFAICT, the original step bumpers were painted a very unexciting shade of gray. I've got a few original ones and am thinking of painting them a little more on the silver side, think it would look a lot better.

There were also some chrome step bumpers by Fey that are sweet looking! They had black accent stripes on the kick panel that matched real well with the rocker molding.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

:stupid: J/K :yt: That was what i was gonna post. That is pretty much what they seem to be and i was gonna chrome paint it but it looked like metalic silver yecck!
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com