Just did OD swap

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

fonzf100s

Just did OD swap

Post by fonzf100s »

Hey guys,
I just did the three speed manual to an '82 4 speed overdrive swap. and what a difference. I found one of the RUG aluminum case 4 speeds at a local salvage yard for $200.00. The swap was pretty painless, the only thing I had to do was get my drive shaft shortened 7 inches and balanced, and the other thing was I used the old mount from the three speed manual, and it bolted right on my old crossmember without drilling. My shifter was on the floor already(Hurst), and I didn't even have to modify the opening. Nice drop in RPM's, and from 15.5 MPG to about 17.5 MPG on the highway. I have a 302 with 3.25 gears, although 3.50 gears would probably be the optimum. Anyway just thought some of you might like to know this info. Thanks,
Ron
Heyyyyyyyyyy, keep 'em cool, keep 'em on the road!
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Just did OD swap

Post by heep70 »

:thup:
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Sounds like a Nice swap....I'm sure others have wanted to do this and will want to ask you a few questions now that you've done it.
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
Mohillbilly

Post by Mohillbilly »

Ron,
Post some pics of the tranny you got. Is it an actual 4speed, or a 3speed with OD? The OD would really give my old 302 a longer set of legs, but I want to keep the column shift. Would that work with this tranny?
Steve
70 Custom LWB, 302-2V, 3 on tree
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Glad to hear you thought it was worthwhile. I have looked off and on in my area for this trans, but could only find the 4x4 versions. Lot of people have tried to discourage me from this trans, these have a reputation for being weak. Did yours come out of a truck or a car? I'll have to start looking for one again.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
fonzf100s

Post by fonzf100s »

Steve,
It is NOT a 3 speed with overdrive, it is an actual four speed with a floor shift, but is is an overdrive transmission. The shift rail is on the tailshaft of the tranny on the driver's side.

http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tra ... guide.html

is a website for identifying truck trannies. The one I got is T170FS (Code-RUG) transmission and it came out of an '82 f-150 with a 300 six in it.
If you did the swap it would have to be a floor shift. I hope that helps, I forgot to take pictures of the whole process, dumb I know, but you know how it is. :hmm:
Ron
fonzf100s

Post by fonzf100s »

Hey Sport Custom,
It came out of an '82 F-150. I'll let you know if this one goes out any time soon. Kepp my finger's crossed.

Ron
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

I had an '84 F150 with a six and that tranny (I think) in it. Truck was beat all to hell, but the tranny worked without complaint, so it must have some resilience. 8)
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
fonzf100s

Post by fonzf100s »

Hey guys,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've been running the '69 on several trips now, and what a difference! On interstate driving, I'm getting pretty consistantly 17.8 to 18 mpg. In town or two lane driving, about 16.5. Well woth while for me, and those rpm's are nice!!! I have a 3.25 rear, and at 70 I'm taching 2,000!!! Love it!!! Save that engine! Later,

Ron
fonzf100s

Post by fonzf100s »

Hey Sport Custom, I'm running 235/75/r15 tires, and it's a Motorcraft two barrell Carb. I really like the setup, although it's a change, you always have your 1:1 ratio in 3rd gear like the old setup. I do notice 1st gear seems just a little lower than the original, second might be too just a touch, although I'm not sure of the actual ratios in the clark. I did find it on a website some time ago, but as you know those websites start running together. I did tune my truck to factory specs(i.e. timing, idle speed), new points, condenser, plugs, wires, cap, etc. Hope this helps.

Ron
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

I currently have 235s also.

I am finishing up installing my 302, was just rebuilt.

Did you need to do anything with the drive shaft? Length, yoke end, etc?

I have found several 4x4 versions so far, but no 2x4. If you still have your old 3.03 trans, can you compare tailshafts on your old 3 speed vs the clark? I wonder if the 3.03 2 wheel drive tailshaft would swap out with the clark? Probably not, but if they do I might be able to be a couple and ebay the extra one.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!