NOS hood value

Moderator: FORDification

f100ranger1969

NOS hood value

Post by f100ranger1969 »

I am considering buying an original NOS hood. NPD wants $377 + $100 freight. My hood is ok except for a nice crease in the side and lots of surface to semi flaking heavy rust on the underside, extending under the hood supports. My thinking is it would be easier, labor-wise for a bodyman to start fresh with a new hood. Besides this guy won't deal with anything except complete removal or replacement of rusted parts. This is a good thing. So anyway, I thought it was a fair price, figuring it would be a lot more on the auction market. What do you guys think, ever run across NOS like this on eBay? I'm checking daily and dont remember running across one in two years!
Jeff
'69 Calif Ranger in PA, 2001 GMC Sierra SL 4x4
-----------
Liar, Lawyer, Mirror show me, Whats the difference?
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: NOS hood value

Post by dcbullet »

My thoughts are that it seems like quite a bit - $477. Not that it's not worth it, but just in absolute dollars.

However, if you can't find any hoods around your area (including your own hood) that your body man can't fix for less the say $350, then it would seem worth it, since you would have the satisfaction of having a new hood. I get alot of satisfaction out of putting new parts on my vehicles so there is some value to that.

One thing I would caution, I've seen NOS body parts, like doors, that are covered in surface rust because they just had primer on them. That will incur some cost, either in your own time or the body man's, to get rid of.

:2cents:
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I guess it all depends on your goals. My truck is a daily driver/work truck. Not too beat, but not showroom. If I needed another hood, I'd consider the NOS hood only if all the other hoods I could find needed over $477 in body work. You figure any "new" hood would need to be painted...or not. At one time my old 67 had about 7 + different colors.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Although the price for the NOS hood is fair. Just price hoods for ten or so random newer cars, you'll find then run anywhere from 200 or so to over 1000.

You can absolutely count on it having some damage on it by the time it gets to you. Body shops deal with this every day, but don't expect it to be perfect.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
f100ranger1969

Post by f100ranger1969 »

Thanks for the input, guys.

Damage in shipping is one thing i was considering, since most places warn that it is a great possibility, especially for the repro parts made overseas and shipped thousands of miles.

There is a repro version of the hood made for about $125 less, but in my experience and hearing others opinions it just isn't the same grade material as the old steel.

I'm probably going to think about getting it. I figured that if I ever decided I didnt need it, I can get rid of it no problem and not lose too much cash.

Jeff
'69 Calif Ranger in PA, 2001 GMC Sierra SL 4x4
-----------
Liar, Lawyer, Mirror show me, Whats the difference?