Bell-housing questions

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

snooziums

Bell-housing questions

Post by snooziums »

Okay, I would like to know what transmissions will bolt up to the bell-housing I have. I am thinking that a NP435 might be a better choice for my engine than the three-speed I have, since it will provide a low starting gear.

I know that the bell-housing I have will bolt up to my engine. Below are pictures of the transmission end of it.

The space between the middle of the bolts are 8 & 1/2 inches apart horizontal and 6 & 1/2 apart height-wise.

So will an NP435 bolt up?

200ci inline-six, three-on-the-tree (No truck :cry:)
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Bell-housing questions

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I still think that the 200 will be underpowered for a full size truck. Maybe you should sell that and use the money towards a running truck.
snooziums

Post by snooziums »

Well, lets see, the city busses weigh about 37,000 lbs, and are powered by 253 HP engines. So the weight to HP ratio is rather extreme.

The 200 six can produce 150 HP easily, and the F-series for this era is about 3,500 lbs.
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

Of course it'll turn the tires, just not as fast.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: Bell-housing questions

Post by willowbilly3 »

snooziums wrote:Well, lets see, the city busses weigh about 37,000 lbs, and are powered by 253 HP engines. So the weight to HP ratio is rather extreme.

The 200 six can produce 150 HP easily, and the F-series for this era is about 3,500 lbs.
The city buses are rated in taxable horsepower and by that standard your little 200 might make about 35 since a 360 V8 has somewhere in the low 50s.
Why are you still set on putting that little motor in a big truck when so many of the people on here have advised against it? If you had access to a place to work and some resources it might be a good learning experience but given the fact that you have no shop and little or no money it seems like an exercise in futility to take on a project requiring that degree of engineeering and fabrication.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

Huge difference in torque and torque range in the bus engines and your 6.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
snooziums

Post by snooziums »

No one wanting to answering my question about if the NP435 would bolt up?

The 200ci six produces 120 HP at 4,400 rpm, and 190 lb-ft Torque at 2400 rpm.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Well, I've seen the early Bronco guys like to swap out the Ford 3.03 3-speed tranny on their 170/200 engines with the NP435 but don't know all the details, maybe check out a Bronco forum?

The pickups need the high hump tranny tunnel for the 4-speeds and the C6.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
Rockcrusher

Post by Rockcrusher »

A ford T18/T19 or NP435 will both bolt to your bellhousing. Make sure the donor is a Ford with a 6½" long input shaft.
Rockcrusher
http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com
Ignorance is sticking your hand in the fire 'cause you don't know what it is ... Stupidity is doing it a second time.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Thanks Rockcrusher! Seemed like they would since the 3-speed was the standard trans. on our trucks.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
roachrider

Post by roachrider »

Snooziums,

Looks like you're located in WA. So am I. To answer your question, yes the NP-435 FORD model would bolt up. The Chevy and Dodge have different input shafts and bolt patterns.

I've got an NP-435 that would bolt up to that bellhousing that you can buy. It's got a busted 2nd gear synchro spring but I have a new spring to put in, just haven't had time. If you're interested, PM me and we can figure out a price.

However, I have to agree that the 200cid is going to be woefully underpowered. If you are interested, I've got an FE that is completely fresh. It's been gently broken in for about 7000 miles. You could pull the oil pan and look at the bearings and cylinder walls for yourself to see. If you sell your 200 shortblock for a fair price, I'm sure we could work out a price that's fair.

If you're really serious about making your dream of a truck become a reality, you'll have to work for it and be reasonable. First, find shop/storage space. Then, be reasonable about your expectations and experience. If you don't have a full shop, doing a non-standard engine swap is going to tax your patience and wallet.

The point of this isn't to push parts on you. It's to show that here is a drivetrain. I'm sure there are other members on this forum that would cut you a deal on a body/frame. I and many people have axles. There's a complete truck, you just have to make it happen. I'm sure for the price if a burger, there are people that would be willing to help out with the transportation...

Whoa! Where did this soapbox come from! :hmm: I better get off it now.
Thanks,
-Aaron Taylor aka...Mr. Winch :D

1967 F-250 HiBoy - 352ci, NP-435, Dana 24, Dana 44 & 60, 4.56's, Riding on BFG 35's
1982 KZ-1300 - 650 pounds, 120+ HP, 85 MPH Speedo