turning flywheel

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

67RED
Preferred User
Preferred User

turning flywheel

Post by 67RED »

hi guys just removed clutch today. that was a job. was wondering can you have the flywheel turned seems to be a couple of grooves in it. any info appreicated
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: turning flywheel

Post by heep70 »

Yes and check to see if the starter ring needs to be flipped while you have it out.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Any automotive machine shop should be able to resurface the flywheel. We have discussed this before and I know flipping the ring gear has been done successfully by lots of guys. I only tried it once, on a 428 I had in a 69 highboy. The starter would not disengage. I pulled it back apart and found that the ring gear was cut on a bit of a bevel, it would only work one way.
Another bit of advice; Do not be surprised if your clutch adjusting rod isn't long enough when you get it back together. If the flywheel has been resurfaced a couple times it moves the whole clutch assembly foreword. That combined with the sloppy tolerances of remanufactured clutch discs may cause this problem to occur. Just fabricate a longer adjusting bolt.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
67RED
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67RED »

hi guys got the flywheel resurfaced today. now rain coming in no shop to work in. $25.00 to get it done guess that wasn't to bad.hurt my back taking transmission out. pulled a muscle i think. got a guy coming out thursday gonna tow it to his shop and reinstall it. hope to be back on the road soon.
NATHANHASNORIDE

Post by NATHANHASNORIDE »

$25.00 isn't to bad our local machine shop will do it for $15.00 if you let him do about $350.00 worth of work to your heads :lol:.My bro-in-law got his heads ported,polished,and 15 angle valve job and all that good stuff and he resurfaced his for $15.00 so I assume he will do that for everyone who spends a nice chunk of change.

Goodluck and hope you have that thing on the road again soon!

-Nathan-
NathaN

I'd push a FORD before I'd ever drive a CHEVY!!!!
67RED
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67RED »

got 67red back on the road. but with that new clutch almost had to learn to drive i again
steve
Life is 90% how you take it10% what you make it