C6 transmission swap

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

legoinfre

C6 transmission swap

Post by legoinfre »

My 390 died last year, on my camper 1972 special, a friend gave me a 350 to replace it but I found out that the c6 did not fit it, so i splurge and went to upullit to get a tranny , found a c6 on a ford van with a small block, took it back home, then I realised that the 'new" transmission was longer but since I had the old one I thought I could swap the rear nose of that tranny, I was able to remove the short one that came with my original tranny with no problem but the long nose on the new one is not coming out, something is holding it inside, i do not want to force it unless advised to.
I was going to go get a book but I thought I would give a try to a forum first, so here we are, is anyone can tell if, first,is it possible to swap the back of the transmission so I have the proper lenght? if yes what is holding the long nose in? or should I consider shortening the axle? thank you.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: C6 transmission swap

Post by willowbilly3 »

It might be easier to just shorten the drive shaft. You will need to change the rear output shaft too, not just the housing. I'm not sure if the internals would swap out but my luck with swapping different years of parts would lead me to not open that can of worms. Any good tranny shop could tell you what is involved.
If you decide to go with the longer tailshaft from the van, send me a measurement of the front half of your driveline (if you have a long wheelbase truck) I have the front half of a driveline that was made up for a car C6 into a 72 longbed. It has the slip yoke front as opposed to the blot on type the trucks originally used.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

There is a Haynes Techbook, Ford Automatic Transmission Overhaul, which has step by step photographic instructions on overhauling a C6. It is Haynes #10355. You can probably get a copy at your auto parts store.
Frankly, I would not install a upullit tranny until it had been overhauled.
It would be a bummer to get it in the trcuk and THEN discover it's junk. :x
The C6 is pretty easy to do at home though.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Not sure on the Haynes tranny books but I have found the non-factory service books tend to generalize and not give good specifics on model to model changes. Such as their using one diagram labeled "typical" when really it would take several to cover what was available. Invariably you will get stumped by how something comes apart only to find the book just says "remove". You already know you have to remove it, what you need to know is how.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The Haynes isn't bad, not the best but it isn't too bad. Not as bad as say a Chilton that you open to the A/C section and it says "You should take the car to a certified A/C shop" (So tell me again why I spent 25.00 on this book?)

Anyway, a good companion the the Haynes book (and probably better if you can only have one) is the ATSG "TechTran Manual" for the C6. You can order it from Summit Racing as TCI-892900.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper