Adding oil cooler

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

fordloaf

Adding oil cooler

Post by fordloaf »

Can i add an cooler to my MX transmission? I mean along with keeping the water cooled system.

67 f-250
DuckRyder

re: Adding oil cooler

Post by DuckRyder »

I don't see why you could not, although, I wonder why you want to retain the water cooled araingement?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
FoMoCo
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoMoCo »

Ford did that. My 93 Lightning had a line from the E4OD trans to the radiator, then from the radiator to an aux grill mounted cooler, than back to the trans.

Nick
1969 F-100
2006 Fusion SEL
2006 e-320 cdi
2004 excursion V-10
fordloaf

Re: re: Adding oil cooler

Post by fordloaf »

[quote="DuckRyder"]I don't see why you could not, although, I wonder why you want to retain the water cooled araingement?[/quote]

Because i dont want to replace the radiator. Do you guys know of a good trans rebuild manual?
wekelm

Post by wekelm »

Because i dont want to replace the radiator
You wont have to replace the radiator. You'll just be bypassing it. Just run both of your trany lines to the new cooler. you don't have to do anything with the old connections on the radiator.
Bill K.

'71 F100 custom
'89 Probe LX
U.S. Army Retired
fordloaf

Post by fordloaf »

[quote="wekelm"][quote]Because i dont want to replace the radiator[/quote]

You wont have to replace the radiator. You'll just be bypassing it. Just run both of your trany lines to the new cooler. you don't have to do anything with the old connections on the radiator.[/quote]

Ah, OK... How exactly do i hook up new lines to a cooler? I mean if there was no oil cooler designed for this trans to begin with. Are there 2 holes capped off on it?
wekelm

Post by wekelm »

You go buy a universal tranny cooler from a store like Autozone or O'reillys and install it per the instructions. You'll disconect the lines from the radiator and use hose to conect them to the new cooler. other than a little left over tranny fluid in the radiator nothing will leak out of it. You can also install it in line with your exsisting cooler in the radiator and have more cooling. Mine is installed that way see attached pics. Either way you install it will be included in the instructions along with all he hardware you'll need.
Bill K.

'71 F100 custom
'89 Probe LX
U.S. Army Retired
fordloaf

Post by fordloaf »

[quote="wekelm"]You'll disconect the lines from the radiator and use hose to conect them to the new cooler. other than a little left over tranny fluid in the radiator nothing will leak out of it. You can also install it in line with your exsisting cooler in the radiator and have more cooling..[/quote]

Excuse me, but normally that would make sense but the MX Trans i have is WATER cooled in that coolant is pumped into and out of the transmission, so i cant use those lines because they are separate from the trans fluid. I guess what i want to do leave the water cooler as is and add the ATF cooler if that is possible. Excuse me if i am not being clear on this project :hmm:
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

If you are planning a rebuild anyway, I would say chuck the MX and find a C6. Otherwise, look for a place to tap into the tranny fluid. I am not familiar with the configuration but I would think there is an external port somewhere for checking line pressure. You might have to tap the pan for a return.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fordloaf

Post by fordloaf »

[quote="willowbilly3"]If you are planning a rebuild anyway, I would say chuck the MX and find a C6. Otherwise, look for a place to tap into the tranny fluid. I am not familiar with the configuration but I would think there is an external port somewhere for checking line pressure. You might have to tap the pan for a return.[/quote]

I liked the way the MX worked and i dont feel like wasting all that time looking for a bone yard C6, removing it, the driveshaft etc, lugging it home, rebuilding it then finding out i need another, driveshaft, linkage etc. I KNOW the MX fits, just to bad it gets a bad rap. A few more years and there will be no parts available at all and THEN i will go the c6 route, but that will be a LONG time from now.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

O.K. Help me out here because I am not following some of what you are saying, and I've really only seen pictures of the 67 only MX heat exchanger.

What you have is a box (heat exchanger) near the transmission that takes fluid from the trans and runs it through the box. The box also ties into the block and or heater hoses and routes Engine coolant through it. If I am right, the way it works is really not any different than the more standard arrangement in the radiator. There is a tank inside that holds the trans fluid, and the engine coolant circulates around it, the cooler tries to equalize the two fluids temperature.

So you have two options to add an axillary cooler:

1) Remove on of the transmission fluid lines from the cooler. Route this line forward to an auxiliary cooler. Route the other line from the cooler back to factory heat exchanger. In this way you add a cooler to the factory system.

2) Remove the factory cooler. Plug the two engine coolant connections at the block/heater hoses. Route the two transmission fluid lines forward to an aftermarket cooler. This removes the factory heat exchanger.

Take a look at this:

TCI FAQ on Coolers
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper