need help trouble shooting turn signal switch

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
carolina1g

need help trouble shooting turn signal switch

Post by carolina1g »

Does anyone know how to check if a signal switch is bad. My 72 F-250 signal lights were working yesterday, but now I get nothing, if I could figure out how to test it then maybe I wouldn'thave to replace it and check somewhere else for the problem. Thanks I'm new so any help would be appreciated. carolina1g
I've just run across this web site and I'm impressed with all the info you all have. I'm trying to get my fathers "72" f-250 back into shape I know it's hard to find steering wheels but does anyone know if a 72 torino will work.thanks carolina1g
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Check the fuses first. If you had a suddenly lost the blinkers, I would expect the fuse first. Should be a 14 amp (if same as '68) - see fuse box thread in the forums. (attachment not available at this time) What else is happened to the wiring? Do the emergency flashers work?
carolina1g

Post by carolina1g »

Hello bluef250, yes I checked the fuses they seem to be ok. The emergency flashers work. I checked both sides of the switch with a test light, but I only get fire when the emergency flashers are on.I'm going to check the harness plug next. THANKS
I've just run across this web site and I'm impressed with all the info you all have. I'm trying to get my fathers "72" f-250 back into shape I know it's hard to find steering wheels but does anyone know if a 72 torino will work.thanks carolina1g
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Turn Signals

Post by wt4speed#2 »

Any other rear lights out? I chased mine for a week before i figured out it was the flasher,My four ways worked and i could not figure It out . I never new my '69 had 2 flashers Also check connection comming out of steering column that is where my problem started.
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
carolina1g

Post by carolina1g »

I checked both flashers by switching them around.I'm going to check the wires coming out of the column next. I had to back off for a day to keep from lossing it.
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

Yea some times walkin a way helps loads,the wiring diagram for the 67 keith has is good for my '69. I ended up having a wire burnt in the plug if i remember right there are seven wire positions several are piggy backed on the side away from column and these are the ones I would start with .

Good luck keep us updated
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
carolina1g

re: need help trouble shooting turn signal switch

Post by carolina1g »

Found the problem.My father had put a 78 column in the truck, so when I put a 72 clolumn back I used the 78 connector and missed the power wire.Stupid me I was checking all the connections from the horn. Live and learn.